Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
brimar
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rear wing flange

Post by brimar »

I have a 1955 4 door series 2. My problem concerns the rear wing flange repair panel which I purchased from Charles Ware's of Bath. Do I have to cut the top part of the flange off so that I can weld it to the body? If so, why is the extra part on there?
I hope this makes sense to someone out there. :-?

Brian
Arfron
Minor Fan

Rear wing repair panel

Post by Arfron »

I have completed the repair which you mention . I made my panel out of 1 mm sheet steel :x I think the flange which you are referring to is the up-turned part , just above the swaged < bit ?? :-?

Not having used a commercial part , I assume that the extra steel is to fill in the possible missing steel above the < bit. Suggest you look at the Haynes MM/ 1000 Restoration Manual L Porter pages 101 to 107 , where all will be revealed ! :o

John
brimar
Minor Friendly

Rear wing flange

Post by brimar »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think you are right, the extra flange is probably there just in case it is needed, if not, cut it off. :lol:
Arfron
Minor Fan

Rear wheel arch flange

Post by Arfron »

I tucked the repair section under the original metal , to give it a bit of extra support . Also , it was quite handy to have another mm. of metal to make a lap joint, which is inherently stronger . :o

All the best with your project . :D :roll:

Arfron