Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

which breakdown service?

Post by stuffedpike20 »

The AA want £100 more from me than last year for the same level of cover. I no longer feel like being loyal to them.

I think the RAC may be connected to the MMOC in some way, but they seem to have a system where you can join, but have to pay extra for each call out, costing up to £80.

Some of the other breakdown services do not cover cars more than 15 or 16 years old.

All I want is roadside and relay cover...nothing else. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks
John
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: which breakdown service?

Post by ManyMinors »

If you're otherwise happy with the AA, ring them up and tell them you are not prepared to pay their high charges and have lower quotes from elsewhere. That's what I do every year. I always get a better quote. An increase of £100 is completely unjustified.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I did that last year and got £40 pounds off. That is not going to be enough this time.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Exactly what @ManyMinors says. I go through the shame charade with the AA every year. They whack the price up masses. I ring them and complain. They tell me about all the wonderful things I get for my money. I tell them I rarely if ever use any of said services. They say there's nothing much they can do. I suggest they give it a go. They come back with a price which is still a significant increase but nowhere near as bad as the quote and we do the deal.

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks Keith.
Yes, it is the same with insurance, you have to play the game and say you are leaving before they take money off.
I am fed up with it.
I simply want roadside and rescue at a reasonable price for my old cars.
I did call the AA out for one of my cars last year. The patrol diagnosed a faulty crank sensor (not a minor), and I replaced it with an old one I kept in the boot. When he had gone and I was tidying up, I found that he had nicked my special short 10mm spanner! :roll:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you just want it for the Minor, some insurance companies include breakdown cover, you may of course know this.

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Yes got our with the insurance online for our corsaand had options such as home start or relay etc and a fraction of the price you pay normally.Got a similar deal for our Classics with a classic insurance company.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I have got more than one car, so need a driver policy.

They are all over 16 years old. :o
alfie austin
Minor Friendly

Post by alfie austin »

Hello,
I also have faced huge increase at renewal with the AA in the past….
But now every year when the renewal letter arrives, I simply check online what the cost would be to join as a new customer (Always considerably less than the renewal amount).
Then I phone up and state if they don’t reduce the renewal down to the new customer price, I’ll simple not renew, let it expire and then the next day join as a new customer ….always works and they agree the reduction to renew at the new customer rate.
So earlier this year renewal letter stated £211 (basic breakdown, plus home start, plus national recovery - all for me in any vehicle)…. But as a ‘new customer’ got the same for £98 !

Kind regards.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks Alfie.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

alfie austin wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:47 pm Hello,
I also have faced huge increase at renewal with the AA in the past….
But now every year when the renewal letter arrives, I simply check online what the cost would be to join as a new customer (Always considerably less than the renewal amount).
Then I phone up and state if they don’t reduce the renewal down to the new customer price, I’ll simple not renew, let it expire and then the next day join as a new customer ….always works and they agree the reduction to renew at the new customer rate.
So earlier this year renewal letter stated £211 (basic breakdown, plus home start, plus national recovery - all for me in any vehicle)…. But as a ‘new customer’ got the same for £98 !

Kind regards.
I thought it was illegal to not offer renewals at the same price as a new customer now?
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I think that is for home and motor insurance (?).
Not sure about breakdown cover.
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Hi,

After years of using the AA, I switched to Emergency Assist about five years ago after a recommend by a work colleague. They cover our two modern cars and our Moggy. The cover is pretty comprehensive and has all the usual features - home-start, roadside assistance, national recovery, Onward travel in the UK, misfueling.

The annual cost for all three vehicles is £114.97 which I think is very good.

I have had to use them once on one of our modern cars - they arrived quickly, the fault could not be fixed on the roadside, and a low loader arrived soon after to take our car to our chosen garage for a repair (the power-steering had failed catastrophically!)

I have no connection to this company other than being a happy customer!

Their website: emergencyassistltd.co.uk
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks Pete.

When I look at their site it says they cover the vehicles, not the driver. And they like the vehicles to be less than 15 years old.

Good price though. :tu1:
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I wanted breakdown cover for Minors on Tour to Europe a month ago. The AA gave a very high quote so I asked my insurance company, Adrian Flux who gave a very reasonable quote for breakdown cover. I did not have to use the breakdown cover so I cannot comment on how good they are.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

I have personal R.A.C. cover, using Tesco Clubcard vouchers. That covers me with the Minor and my daily car etc..
Close examination of their Ts and Cs doesn't reveal anything about a car's age.
Even using the vouchers the price for cover has become really high.
The A.A. has been on my naughty list for years now. A long time ago, as a member, I approached a Patrol at a M6 services, showed him my membership card and asked for a fuse to fit myself. "I'm too busy" was the reply. Never entertained them since that.
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:36 am Thanks Pete.

When I look at their site it says they cover the vehicles, not the driver. And they like the vehicles to be less than 15 years old.

Good price though. :tu1:

Thanks for this, you got me worried! I've just had a look at my policy, and as I have their 'Vehicle Cover' (which covers the vehicle, not the person) then vehicle age does not seem to matter. But, If I had their 'Personal Cover' which as the name implies, covers any car the named person is driving, then those cars must be 15 years old or under - so I'm okay!

breakdown 1.jpg
breakdown 1.jpg (88.39 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Attachments
breakdown2.jpg
breakdown2.jpg (103.03 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Sorry to get you worried Pete.

There was a bit of a scandal with the RAC a few years ago olonas if I remember correctly. The patrols were selling new batteries to people whether they needed one or not. There was an expose on the telly about it. :roll:
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Yes, I remember that. I doubt it's just them and they were the only organisation to be "found out".
The only reason(s) I use their insurance is Tesco Clubcard vouchers and no apparent car age limit.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Just to give an update.
I got a quote from RAC of £150. Phoned the AA and challenged their price of nearly £250.
They came down to £160 so I stuck with them.

I know I probably could have done better; but I can't stand the jumping -through -hoops that they all want you to do. :-(