Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mermancdi
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

What and where does this pipe go

Post by Mermancdi »

Mounted on top of thermostat housing is a small copper / brass barrel with pipe coming off for few inches with the end bent over but see where this is meant to go or attach to. Thanks.
Mercmancdi.
Stevie G
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: What and where does this pipe go

Post by myoldjalopy »

Without seeing it, I am guessing it is an after-market take-off for a temperature gauge of some sort......maybe there is some obviously non-original gauge or lamp in the dashboard that it is meant to connect to?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would second that the thermostat housing mentioned has a top take off for a temp gauge with the capillary tube truncated and the remains bent over to seal the tube.
The thermostat housing with top temp gauge take off was not a non BMC after market part as they were readily available from your local BMC spares supplier.
I had one on my Minor but did not use the take off facility as the 12G295 head had the temp gauge take off in the head.
See photo below:-
WDF engine 2.jpg
WDF engine 2.jpg (183.71 KiB) Viewed 325 times

Mermancdi
Minor Friendly

Post by Mermancdi »

Thanks guys. Will leave it off as putting temp gauge in from the stud blank under stat . It went nowhere and was just held on by
stat housing stud.
Mercmancdi.
Stevie G
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

A picture would help, but I'm guessing that it's the flame trap from the old vacuum advance pipe, since replaced by the modern plastic pipe (assuming that there is a working vacuum advance fitted), but left in situ.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

simmitc wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:35 pm A picture would help, but I'm guessing that it's the flame trap from the old vacuum advance pipe, since replaced by the modern plastic pipe (assuming that there is a working vacuum advance fitted), but left in situ.
Ah, now that the OP has clarified the object is affixed by one of the thermostat housing studs, rather than "mounted" on top of it, you may well be right. And yes, a picture would clarify things for sure............
Mermancdi
Minor Friendly

Post by Mermancdi »

Guys it’s screws into distributor then mounted on stat housing stud and carries on down to carb. Thanks.
Stevie
Mercmancdi
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

That is definitely the vacuum advance pipe with flame trap, but in your first post, you said that the pipe ran for only a few inches and then bent over, so was that not correct, and the pipe always ran the full route?
Mercmancdi
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Mercmancdi »

No pipe had been broke off so I replaced the whole thing.
Op had an old rubber pipe running straight from distributor to carb.