Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Shane1964
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Bracing

Post by Shane1964 »

Hi all , could someone please tell me what box section tube I need to brace my car ready for welding (from the doors and across the car). Thanks Shane
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Re: Bracing

Post by Steve Phillips »

Hi

We often have to brace customers vehicles during restoration and normally use 3/4" (19mm) tube or 20 x 20mm box section bot in a 1.6mm section,

Yes bigger tube/box is stronger but to big can get in the way as you work, and shouldn't be needed if enough diagonals are used.

Remember that the strength is in the diagonals that you create as much as the tube itself,

If for example you are bracing a door apature you go from bottom of the door "A" post to top of the "B"post and then top of "A" to bottom of "B" post forming diagonals that are very strong (remember to weld the two tubes where they cross each other as well) as that gives even more strength,

Basically triangles are your friend here.

If you are bracing a door apature remember to make sure the bracing is positioned so that you can still get the door back on and have access to cut and replace what ever has rotted out without removing the bracing.

But no matter what you use to brace the vehicle always brace with doors etc fitted so you know you have good panel fit at the start of the work (then remove the panels) and check as you go through the welding that everything is still fitting correctly as welding can pull a shell around especially if your repair panels are not a perfect fit and require "flexing" to get them to fit correctly.

Hope that helps

Steve
Shane1964
Minor Friendly

Post by Shane1964 »

Hi thanks for your advice Steve that will help me alot as I have never done this before, thanks for leaving me such a good reply. Thanks Shane
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

Your welcome

If you want anymore information or have any questions feel free to post here or pm me.

I've seen too many cars twisted and ruined during restoration and have ended up salvaging several for over enthusiastic customers over the years.

So my advice "slowly slowly". And if you're new to welding don't try to weld you project straight away, practice practice and practice some more on some spare steel sheet until you can get a good weld.

Best of luck with your project

Steve