Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Tappet adjustment on MM sidevalve engine

Post by Mr Spigot »

Working my way around the servicing of my 1952 sidevalve engine (I've had it 5 months) I notice that there is an oil leak from the tappet cover towards the rear, with oil covering the top of the gearbox. When I take the cover off to replace the gasket, I thought it would be sensible to check the tappet clearances. Having checked the workshop manual for the correct procedure a few obstacles spring to mind:
1) Do you have to remove the carburettor to get to the tappets more easily? They are not exactly accessible in comparison to the OHV engines!
2) The manual says they can be checked when hot (0.017"). I suspect burnt fingers and the engine being cool by the time the last ones are checked! It also mentions a clearance of 0.018" when cold and presumably this is a more practical alternative?
3) The manual says 3 spanners are required. 3 hands also?!

Some experienced advice very welcome!
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577 - owned since 1990
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305 - owned since 2023
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Tappet adjustment on MM sidevalve engine

Post by alanworland »

Not the easiest of jobs! By removing everything that's in the way will make things so much easier to wield 3 spanners and a feeler gauge while upsidedown.
Try not to lean too heavily on the radiator - I broke the soldered brackets off mine (and I was lighter then!
Can't imagine how this could be performed hot.
Good luck!

Alan