Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andrew63
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Cylinder head refurb

Post by Andrew63 »

Hi everyone, I have a 1961 minor, and it appears that the head gasket has gone. I have been advised to get the cylinder head refurbished, and get the valves replaced to take unleaded petrol.
Does anyone have any advise please on the best place to get this done, I am in Leicestershire, I have help to replace it, but would appreciate any help on how to go about the head refurbishment.
Thank you
rocco
Minor Fan

Re: Cylinder head refurb

Post by rocco »

I think it's valve seats that you change for unleaded fuel, not the valves themselves. Perhaps a replacement exchange head would be the best idea? I think ESM do them, not cheap though.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... engine-c16
1961 Morris Minor 1000
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by paul 300358 »

Have a phone round any local engineer shops, I use Dave Rushton in stoke on Trent, hardened valve seats and the valves recut was about £250.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Basically your friendly local machine shop but not quite. Experience with the A-series and particular the later and better little modifications I would argue are essential.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Only the exhaust valve seats need to be changed. That is the old exhaust valve seats cut out and new hardened valve seats pressed into place.
The original valves both inlet and exhaust can be refaced. There is no need to replace any valves unless the valve seats are damaged.
The valve guides could be re-used but would advise replacing the inlet valve guides with the type used with the top hat seals. The exhaust valve guides do not need the top hat seals as with unleaded fuel the exhaust valve stems need all the lubrication they can get. Unleaded fuel has no lubrication qualities.
The valve seats in the head need to be ground centric to the valve guides. It makes it much easier when hand lapping the valves in.
Make sure that the valves drop easily through all of the valve guide on completion of the valve guide and seat works because with unleaded fuel the valve needs sufficient/excess clearance between valve stem and guide so as not to stick when the engine gets hot.

Andrew63
Minor Friendly

Post by Andrew63 »

Thank you for all the advice, sorry I have been away for a few days so was not able to reply. I will call a few places and see what I can sort out, thanks again, Andy.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

I have had issues with blow head gaskets so was advised to use the one the put on the racing minis as I have a 1275 engine.No issues since.Cant remember the name but starts with a P.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Payen? I bought one from Mini Spares and found it excellent. For the small bore engines they do this one

https://www.minispares.com/product/Clas ... o%20search

I do prefer the composite gaskets as I've not had much luck with the copper ones and the Mini boys love them (composite) Another, cheaper, version is the Victor Reinz one which also gets good press.