Brake fluid

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ingles49
MMOC Member: Yes

Brake fluid

Post by Ingles49 »

If I want to change to silicone brake fluid is it a straight swap ie drain old fluid, fill with silicone and bleed or do I have to change other compoonents such as rubber seals, master cylinder etc.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Brake fluid

Post by oliver90owner »

Straight swap.
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

https://brakefluidstore.com/difference- ... and-dot-5/

I have DOT 5 in my Minor (Automec). I changed to it many years ago. At the time I renewed the complete system, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, pipes, flexibles etc..
Whether true or not, I have read that the DOT 5 is not good for the seals when replacing DOT 3 or DOT 4 with it.
It didn't affect me because the whole system was new and completely devoid of the previous fluid.
I did change the original Automec with the same about 5 years ago. No evidence of water or corrosion at that time.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I too changed to Automec silicone fluid when I fitted all new brake system, front discs new copper/nickel pipes. new flex pipes and master cylinder and reaf cylinders. Never had a days problem since. If any standard fluid remains in your system it won't matter. It will still work but you will not achieve the full benefits. If you replace or strip and clean every thing to completely remove all traces of old fluid you will get the full benefit. Well worth the effort.
Edit.. just read the link above which warns against mixing the two types, so probably best not to.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I changed to silicone a long while ago, again took the advise from reliable sources to renew rubbers and not mix. So far all is well.

Ingles49

Post by Ingles49 »

Mmmm! This is what I feared, some people say straight swap and others say renew all the rubber components. I'm a coward so I'll just stick to changing the Dot 4 every 2 years.