Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Hub identification disc brakes

Post by Bill_qaz »

I believe the calipers are marina as I fitted pads when I bought the car. The bearings are parallel type not taper. Does anyone know from the pictures what the hubs are from to know what bearings to purchase
20240323_130511.jpg
20240323_130511.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 523 times
20240323_130507.jpg
20240323_130507.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 523 times
Regards Bill
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Hub identification disc brakes

Post by philthehill »

The hubs are Marina/Mr Grumpys with the 3.75"Marina PCD revised to 4"
I have the same hubs on my Minor.
Grumpy hub 2.jpg
Grumpy hub 2.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 511 times
The hub bearings should be taper adjustable bearings not parallel.
Do you have the stub axle adapter sleeve fitted which fits over the stub axle and allows the appropriate bearings to be fitted?
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/modif ... y-p1238945
If you do have the adapter sleeve I will dig out the appropriate bearing part numbers.
You may have Marina stub axles fitted which means that standard Marina front hub bearings can be fitted and which are widely available.
I changed my Minor stub axles to Marina items to make and keep things simple.
Bill
I have just noticed that you have the wrong bolts holding the disc to the hub.
Note the head difference re the bolts holding my discs to the hub. The heads are distinct to that type of bolt.
They are special bolts and do not have spring washers fitted.
The special bolts have a precise technical name which I shall remember it in a moment. There was a thread a while back reference these special bolts. I will try and find it.
Have a read of the thread below re wheel bearings.
viewtopic.php?t=66540&hilit=disc+brake+bolts

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Thanks Phil, I have not removed hubs to clarify but I m very familiar with adjusting wheel bearings and I can tighten the hub nut ( tight) and it does not tighten the bearing, the slight play remains the same, so I assumed parallel type bearings.
How can I tell if marina hubs?
Which versions if any use parallel wheel bearings? Aren't Austin Healey parallel type?
You mentioned on a previous post my disc covers were not marina.
Thanks for the help, my car was converted a long time before my ownership, so just trying to establish what's what.
20240130_144907.jpg
20240130_144907.jpg (1009.65 KiB) Viewed 492 times
20240323_130519.jpg
20240323_130519.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 490 times
Regards Bill
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

"The special bolts have a precise technical name which I shall remember it in a moment."
Phil, six marks are usually grade 8 were as mine with 3 marks are grade 5
Regards Bill
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Bill
What ever the grade those bolts with washers are I would advise that they need to be replaced with the correct bolts & without washers and correctly torqued.
Phil

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Thanks for the advice on the bolt fitting,found them https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ub-p829138

How can I identify if my stub axle is Marina or Minor.
Is it not possible to have standard non tapered Minor wheel bearing with the disc conversion.
Sorry for my poor quality pic I was trying to compare with your clean example.
20240130_144854.jpg
20240130_144854.jpg (269.49 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Screenshot_20240323-225151_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240323-225151_Chrome.jpg (149.28 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Regards Bill
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Below is a Marina/Ital stub axle fitted to a Minor swivel.
Marina stub axle.JPG
Marina stub axle.JPG (1014.84 KiB) Viewed 418 times
The hub nut locking arrangement is different - note the splines onto which a internal splined washer fits, the hub nut does not have any castellation's and is locked by a special locking washer which is secured by a split pin.
It is possible to have non taper bearings with a disc brake set up but I suspect that the bearings fitted to your hubs are some form of taper bearing. Unless you strip the hub it is impossible to determine what is fitted.
I personally would fit the correct taper bearings whether they are standard Marina or for the Grumpy's conversion. It also make life so much easier when it comes to maintenance and replacement of parts.
Way back CS Autoclassics then based near Wells in Somerset fitted Marina/Ital stub axles to Minor swivels as part of their Marina/Ital disc brake conversion.
My Ser 2 had the CS Autoclassics stub axle conversion as part of a major upgrade which included a Marina/Ital rear axle with 13" wheels front and back.

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Thanks Phil for all the useful info, particularly the splined end info for Marina stub ID.
I trying to avoid a strip down at the moment as bearings are smooth with minimal play.
I will probably strip at end of season when it doesn't get used. I was just trying to gather information In advance. I will pop off the outer cap and have a look, I do remember it's a plain nut with a separate castellated cover for the split pin. :tu1:
Regards Bill
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Hi Phil finally got to remove outer wheel bearing and would appreciate your comments on what I have.
You were correct the bearing are tapered
There are 2 washer, one slightly thicker between adjusting nut and outer bearing.
The castleations look quite shallow but the nut has a push over cover for the split pin to pass through.
20240415_145047.jpg
20240415_145047.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 308 times
20240415_145607.jpg
20240415_145607.jpg (935.26 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Regards Bill
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

When fitting the taper bearings to the Minor stub it can requires a spacer washer (or even two spacer washers) between the bearing and nut.

The Marina hub nut does not have any castellation's, it is a plain nut and is secured by the castellated locking ring.
I suspect that the hub nut used and shown in the photo above is from a Morris Minor 1000.
Either Marina or Minor hub nut can be used so long as the castellated nut is secured by a split pin and for the non castellated nut the Marina castellated locking ring with split pin.
Below is a photo of the Marina hub nut with special castellated locking ring fitted over the nut.
Marina hub nut 1.JPG
Marina hub nut 1.JPG (65.78 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Below is a photo of the Marina hub nut and castellated locking ring separated. Note that the Marina hub nut does not have castellation's.
Marina hub nut 2.JPG
Marina hub nut 2.JPG (67.09 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Further stripping is required to confirm the inner bearing and as to whether it has a Grumpys bearing spacer.
If required I can provide bearing Pt Nos: of both the standard Marina front wheel bearings and the replacement Grumpys adapter kit adapter bearings.
Below is the link to the Grumpys bearing adapter that is used as a spacer to allow the Marina hub to be fitted to the Minor stub axle:-
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/modif ... y-p1238945
The adapter is used for fitting 'unmodified' Marina hubs not 'modified' hubs as stated in the link.

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Thanks Phil the castellated Marina locking ring is what I have but fitted over a castellated nut that has possibly been ground down to give the right depth for the locking ring to align with split pin hole in stub.
At least I now know I have minor stub axles, in the winter I will pull a hub of completely and check inner bearing/ spacer set up. I can then replace the wheel bearings and seal.
Thanks for the info. :tu1:
Regards Bill
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Nearside checked, only one washer so the left hand threaded nut was tightening on end of thread but still had bearing play.with two washer fitted, same as off side, the taper bearing now adjusts normally. It was this that made it feel like parallel bearing, as fully tightened nut did not adjust the free play.
Thanks for your info Phil :tu1:
Regards Bill
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Bill
Only too happy to be of help.
Phil