Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
exlkrs
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Heater hoses

Post by exlkrs »

Can anyone confirm the routing behind the dash/glovebox of the hoses, particularly the top one? Thanks all.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Heater hoses

Post by svenedin »

For the later rectangular heater? There’s not really anything to say about routing. The hose goes through the bulkhead and then it connects to the heater matrix on the same side (right hand side of heater). The hose goes by the shortest and most direct route.

Th hose from the heater tap at the back of the engine is the flow (hot) and the other one (cool) is the return. Usually the flow connects to the top of the matrix and the return to the lower connection on the matrix. This is because cooler water is more dense and sinks. In practical terms it probably makes very little difference with such a small matrix but this is the principle in the main radiator of the car.

If fitting new hoses it is advisable to remove the right hand glovebox to guide the hoses and avoid disconnecting wires behind the dashboard. Also a good idea to disconnect the battery before doing any work behind the dashboard especially work involving water.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Yes, but the top one seems a little high for when you shove the glovebox back in
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

There’s is plenty of room. The glovebox does not go all the way back. I had no issue with it.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen