Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Maintaining DIY Service Records

Post by svenedin »

I just wondered how those who do their own maintenance work keep a record of the work done? Do you keep a maintenance book?

I have a poster that I had laminated on the garage wall. I write with a dry wipe marker the milage and date. It only covers lubrication so I really need another chart for the other jobs.

Stephen
IMG_9853.jpeg
IMG_9853.jpeg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 464 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Maintaining DIY Service Records

Post by les »

I have 3 sturdy notebooks Stephen, for car, van and bike, with info on all that has been done and bought. Mileage and date. OTT you bet ! :D

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

les wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:38 pm I have 3 sturdy notebooks Stephen, for car, van and bike, with info on all that has been done and bought. Mileage and date. OTT you bet ! :D
Not ott Les. I must do something like that. I am a church bellringer and I do some steeplekeeping work. We have 12 bells and there is absolutely no way we could keep track of maintenance work done without a book.

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It’s also handy, at the beginning of the book to record the info from the log book, well v5 now. I also include mot, tax and insurance history, prices and expiry dates. Go for it Stephen, ring that bell ! :D

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

les wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:16 pm It’s also handy, at the beginning of the book to record the info from the log book, well v5 now. I also include mot, tax and insurance history, prices and expiry dates. Go for it Stephen, ring that bell ! :D
Marvellous. it also means that, rather than some vague idea that a new part has not lasted well you can look at your records and know for sure that something has failed prematurely. I also forget what I have or have not done! I don't for instance do everything for a major service in a day. I don't have to so it may take several weeks of a bit at a time. I had a very bad accident a few years ago and although I am perfectly able bodied I do not have the stamina I used to have.

Stephen

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I'm much more relaxed about it. I keep a mental note in my head and roughly follow the schedule, but this is quite flexible and I don't work to specific dates, so its a bit rough and ready....nothing gets left too long though 8)
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Just keep a word document on tablet and record month and year of doing work on the moggy, don't bother with mileage as not relevant.
Regards Bill
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I suppose it has its advantages being that laid back but we all have different natures, which we’ve either inherited or learnt.
My instinct is to note most things, not just vehicle stuff. It’s almost a self defence thing, just in case !! :wink: