Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Castle Rock
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rapid Indicator Speed - Not a Bulb!

Post by Castle Rock »

Morning, all.

I have a silly problem with the 1970 Morris.

The right hand indicator flashes as it should, but the left hand flashes at twice the speed. There is no bulb out on the left.

All 5 lamps work (inc. the tell-tale)- I've replaced the relay, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any thoughts?!

Many thanks.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Rapid Indicator Speed - Not a Bulb!

Post by oliver90owner »

The usual reason for rapid flashing was, like you checked for) a blown bulb, so less current through the unit. I expect you have the same issue of reduced current - but within the wiring, not the bulbs (provided they are of the correct wattage).
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by svenedin »

Did it work before or is the car new to you? Check the wattage of the bulbs on each side. This will happen if one of the bulbs has a low resistance e.g an LED bulb or the wrong bulb. Try swapping the bulb over from the side that works normally to the side that flashes too fast.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Chief »

Mine has the same issue ever since it got rear ended (except it's the right that's fast).

Screwing up the lens cover is enough to stop the indicator from working at all (even after a garage were asked to fix it, what's the betting it worked while it was there), wiggling the bulb is the cure (to get it working again, but it's still fast) even though it seems properly in. The wiring all seems good.

So I'm interested as what the solution to this will be as it's another thing I need to get sorted on mine :)
Castle Rock
Minor Friendly

Post by Castle Rock »

Thanks, all.

It was like it when I got the car. I will pull the bulbs out and report bacK!