How many of you can weld, and how did you learn?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
radioactiveman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

How many of you can weld, and how did you learn?

Post by radioactiveman »

As title really, how many people on the forum can weld and how/why did you learn? :D
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: How many of you can weld, and how did you learn?

Post by alanworland »

When I restored my Morris I only had the choice of gas or not - so I chose gas! Scrounged loads of sheet steel from work and just practiced, I didn't want any lap joints, all butts so you couldn't see I'd been there.
Pleased with the outcome although doing it upsidedown wasn't much fun but pleased with how it all came out, even lead loaded some areas!
Plenty of practice is the answer.

Alan
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I can't weld but wish I'd learned.

The worst of it is I used to live near someone (sadly they died shortly after I moved) who was a good welder and would likely have taught me if I'd asked, but even though I got him to do some welding, it never struck me at the time to ask him to teach me.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Apprentice welder for 4 years at Foden truck factory, Elworth.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Yes, self-taught 50 years ago and still learning, still practising.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Two full time 6 month courses at a Skillcentre in the 90s. One in fabrication and one in welding.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I've got a Stick Welder which I've used to do simple jobs like replace broken brackets on Exhausts, or fix gaps on Silencers.
The cost of the machine has been recovered just by those simple jobs which don't requite any particular skill.
A rear box for my Ford Kuga is around £180+. I brought a £99 Welder and fixed the Silencer 2 MOTs back :tu1: :D
Now I'm properly retired, I'll have to have a practice at some other simple jobs.
But I can't see me ever getting good enough to do anything structural. :o
Basil the 1955 series II

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I learnt off my dad and I did a night class. My dad used to work for Vauxhalls in the early 1960s and they always needed welding even on new cars.

daveejhitchins
Minor Friendly

Post by daveejhitchins »

When I left the Army in 1972 I was enrolled into a government mechanics training course. It had been a hobby for several years previously including maintaining small generators as part of my army life.

So, First day at the training course in Leeds we were given a 6" length of 1" diameter steel bar and instructed to chisel it square :o The second week we were taught to weld - given the rustiest exhaust pipe I've ever seen. Touching the metal with the welding torch resulted in a massive hole! It took the rest of the week to be able add patches . . . I can still manage that today, however, I don't have my own welding kit :-(

Dave H.
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Yes, sort of. I did attend a welding course as part of my job (Marine Engineer), way back when.
Gas welding and brazing and stick, no MIG.
I do own both an electric arc set and a MIG set. In spite of that I wouldn't even contemplate inflicting my "welding skills" on a car or anything important.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I worked at an engineering factory and became a welder there. We made valves for the Nuclear and petro - chenical industry so our welds were tested to LLoyds standard. We used argon arc TIG, MIG and S.M.A.W. (stick) welding with just a little gas welding and brazing. When I converted a two door saloon into a convertible every part except the body shell was smuggled into work and repaired. We had shot blasting machines and degreasers as well as a full set of machine tools. I had the cylinder head skimmed and several replica parts made in stainless steel. All this saved me a lot of money. Later in life I worked at a small firm that fabricated exhaust systems for classic british motorcycles.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

As a bodyshop apprentice, learned very early on. Not at a bench, but in all attitudes, anyone can weld at a bench, said the late great Arno Praeger, my first bodyshop foreman. He'd welded on board a u-boat, so he should know! Anyway, always preferred Gas (still do) because thats what I learned, but equally happy with MIG. And if anyone wants advice if they are starting in restoration. Gasless MIG = Useless MIG. Don't buy too cheap and don't but too dear. For car bodywork, the lesser known Machine Mart Clarke Pro 90 MIG is enough for what you are doing, and is a little forgiving too. Replace the earth clamp with a good hefty one. use a decent visor too.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I can use oxy acetylene and MIG. I suppose I learned from my father, who used to build steel bicycle frames (Bronze welding/brazing or silver solder). His method was often to point you in the right direction and let you find your way from there. I have his arc welder but I never made much of that, though with the new MIG visor, that goes dark, once you have an arc, I may find it easier (But I don't do a lot of thicker stuff, where the arc welder really comes into it's own). Practice is all important, as with most things and starting young!! I first used a lathe aged about eight and of all the machine tools, it's the one which feels most second nature.
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Post by radioactiveman »

Thanks for the interesting replies guys. I'm thinking of 'giving it a go' as it looks like it might be fun (that's not to say that I don't think being proficient requires a lot of skill!). I suppose one day it might be nice to be able to do non-visual bits of my car (as I'm aware of some crunchiness I may need to get addressed soon :-( :lol: ), but I'm not sure if I'd ever feel confident enough!
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

I don't see a location in your postside profile, but if you are near Manchester you are welcome to pop round for a quick tutorial.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Post by radioactiveman »

unclealec wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:15 am I don't see a location in your postside profile, but if you are near Manchester you are welcome to pop round for a quick tutorial.
That's a very kind offer, but I'm down in Surrey. Thank you though! :tu1:
Maria1959morris
Minor Friendly

Post by Maria1959morris »

Wish I had learned to weld if I did I wouldn't be stuck getting rear arch welded up being so far north hardly.any welders up here in very top of scotland those who can weld unfortunately won't help one them situations where I am.located it's hundreds of miles before u will find someone willing to do a job or show help u how to do it as said wish I had the means to learn years ago it woukd be so handy today years ago my dad restored classic bikes and all. Men in club they had if one could do it he would basically u were never stuck cos everyone helped each other
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Maria1959morris wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:54 pm Wish I had learned to weld if I did I wouldn't be stuck getting rear arch welded up being so far north hardly.any welders up here in very top of scotland those who can weld unfortunately won't help one them situations where I am.located it's hundreds of miles before u will find someone willing to do a job or show help u how to do it as said wish I had the means to learn years ago it woukd be so handy today years ago my dad restored classic bikes and all. Men in club they had if one could do it he would basically u were never stuck cos everyone helped each other
To be honest it shouldn't be too hard to self-learn. Equipment isn't ridiculously pricey and it is one of those things that the more you practice the better you get. Plenty of how-tos on Youtube, and some good dedicated websites that are beginner-friendly. Mig is easiest imho and will do most welding jobs.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

I watched a _lot_ of youtube videos on mig welding bodywork. I also went on a welding course covering MMA, mig, Tig and gas. But the videos and practice on scrap would be enough. Main problem I have is being disciplined to go very slowly and letting the metal cool down.
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Post by radioactiveman »

dp wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:14 pm I watched a _lot_ of youtube videos on mig welding bodywork. I also went on a welding course covering MMA, mig, Tig and gas. But the videos and practice on scrap would be enough. Main problem I have is being disciplined to go very slowly and letting the metal cool down.
The videos on the internet make it look so easy! :lol: