Oil Pressure

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mgada1
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil Pressure

Post by mgada1 »

Hello. I’m after some help please? I have a 1966 Traveller. I don’t use it over Winter, its garaged. I pull it out on to the drive and run it a bit when its dry. I ran it for 10 mins today then I had a quick check around and when I took off the oil filler cap noticed the rockers had no oil on them and the top of the engine looks completely dry. The oil level is fine and it had an oil and filter change last Summer. I was wondering if the pump is faulty? When I switch on the ignition the red ignition light come on plus an amber light on the right of the gauge (just past 80mph) - both go off when I start the engine. There is another bulb on the left of the gauge (just past the 10mph) - this does not come on at all - I always thought this was the oil pressure light and it came on when you switched on and went off when the engine started ?- but I could be confusing myself here with another car? Any help really appreciated please. Thanks.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Oil Pressure

Post by svenedin »

The light you refer to at 10mph is oil pressure. The one at 85 mph is blocked oil filter. The Purolator filters with this have a spade electrical connection on the top of the filter (the bit that is bolted to the block). I cannot recall what years this was used but my 1969 car has this.

However, the orange lights might be mixed up. It is correct for there to be a red light and an orange light when you turn on the ignition. The orange oil pressure light should go out and the red charge indicator will go out once the revs are above idle (with a dynamo)

Your oil pressure could be fine but still have a blockage of the oil way to the rocker gear. The oil way is at the front of the cylinder head and squirts oil through the rocker pedestal into the rocker shaft at the front position.

In the picture of a cylinder head of mine the oil way is marked with an arrow. It is essential that the correct rocker pedestal (which has a hole to accept the oil) is above that oil way. Sometimes the rocker gear is reassembled incorrectly and the pedestal with the oil passage is not placed in the correct position on the rocker shaft so no oil can get to the top end of the engine.

You can see in the picture of my rocker assembly that 3 of the pedestals are actually able to transfer oil and 1 is not.

Stephen

IMG_9337.jpeg
IMG_9337.jpeg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 460 times
IMG_9338.jpeg
IMG_9338.jpeg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 460 times
Last edited by svenedin on Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
mgada1

Post by mgada1 »

Many thanks.
Everything was fine in September in terms of oil in the top of the engine (rockers) so something has happened over past 4 months whilst sitting snug in the garage. Its as dry as a bone now. Sounds like there maybe a blockage somewhere along the line but I can't understand why the amber light at 10mph on the speedo doesn't come on at all ?
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

mgada1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:14 pm Many thanks.
Everything was fine in September in terms of oil in the top of the engine (rockers) so something has happened over past 4 months whilst sitting snug in the garage. Its as dry as a bone now. Sounds like there maybe a blockage somewhere along the line but I can't understand why the amber light at 10mph on the speedo doesn't come on at all ?
1/ Have you checked the bulb?
2/ try grounding the wire at the switch.
I thought one of my warning lights had stopped working, when I pulled out the speedo it had fallen out of the hole, so was working but not shining through speedo.
Regards Bill
mgada1

Post by mgada1 »

Thanks Bill. It may be a problem with the light but that doesn't explain lack of oil in the top of the engine?
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

mgada1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:41 pm Thanks Bill. It may be a problem with the light but that doesn't explain lack of oil in the top of the engine?
But you said light is not coming on, the oil pressure turns off. So with the light functioning you know you have oil pressure then if the rockers are still running dry then there's a restriction. :tu1:
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I don't understand this not using cars in the Winter. It only leads to problems. I drive my tourer with the top down in all seasons unless it is raining or snowing.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Do you have a wire going to the oil filter? If you don't that light is never going to come on because it may not even be wired up.

Stephen
mgada1

Post by mgada1 »

Many thanks Stephen, yes the wire is connected - will run a lamp check tomorrow - cheers.

Would love to use my Morris in Winter but the only thing you can drive here after mid November is a 4x4
olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by olonas »

"I don't understand this not using cars in the Winter."
There's that stuff which is spread on many roads during winter. It really works wonders on cars leaving a nice white coating underneath and above.
My Minor is in no way going to be subjected to that.
Try a rural location too e.g. Staffordshire Moorlands. The clue is in the name.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

olonas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:06 am "I don't understand this not using cars in the Winter."
There's that stuff which is spread on many roads during winter. It really works wonders on cars leaving a nice white coating underneath and above.
My Minor is in no way going to be subjected to that.
Try a rural location too e.g. Staffordshire Moorlands. The clue is in the name.
Perhaps what I should have said is I don't understand cars that go into hibernation for the whole Winter. Of course there are locations where a Minor is not at all practical in the Winter. Scandinavia, the Scottish Highlands, Canada etc. I am in the South of England so the weather is milder. I would not take the car out by choice in icy conditions where there is salt on the roads but certainly where I live that is usually just a few days at a time and then the car can go out for a bimble. It is better for these cars to be used because loads of problems result from prolonged storage. Fuel goes off, points corrode, things get stuck etc etc. The other thing to consider is that my car is already shabby so I am not too precious about it and of course it was once my only car so it went out in all weathers regardless. I think that cars that are going to be hibernated need to be prepared for that beforehand.

Stephen

Stephen