Brakes

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rob D
MMOC Member: No

Brakes

Post by Rob D »

I have a 66 minor with drums all round. It's been fitted with a servo. As the wife finds it hard to brake. Now when I brake the wheels lock. Do I have to remove the top hat from the master cylinder.
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brakes

Post by svenedin »

Short answer no. Removing that seal is for disc brake conversions. Drum brakes have powerful springs that retract the shoes, disc brakes have no such springs. The top hat washer helps retain pressure in the braking system which would cause disc brakes to stay engaged and bind.

Drum brakes all round are never going to feel like the brakes in a modern car but they should be able to very effectively stop the car. If that is not the case, the braking system requires investigation

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The clue is that when you brake, you lock the wheels; but when your good lady brakes, she uses less pressure on the pedal and relies on the servo assistance. It is possible to lock the wheels on a minor without a servo if the road surface is suitable and you press hard enough on the pedal. As above, do not modify the master cylinder, but try less pressure on the pedal.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

You could fit a tap in the vacuum line to the servo and have on for your wife and off for you :tu1:
Regards Bill
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

I may have discribed the problem a little confusing. Regardless of who's driving with the servo connected the brakes are quite violent when pressed. I thought the servo would just ease the peddle, a bit more like a modern car. So there's no way of making them assisted.
would I be better removing the servo.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Rob D wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:36 pm I may have discribed the problem a little confusing. Regardless of who's driving with the servo connected the brakes are quite violent when pressed. I thought the servo would just ease the peddle, a bit more like a modern car. So there's no way of making them assisted.
The Servo just assists the brake operation, it shouldn't make the brakes 'violent'.
I don't think I've ever had a drums all around car that I would describe like that.
My problem is driving the Minor and then getting back in my Discs all around car, that's when the braking is 'violent'... :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Was the braking system in good order before fitting the servo? You are correct that the servo should simply reduce the effort needed to press the pedal, it should not make the brakes grab.

The state of the drums, shoes and cylinders can all affect the feel of the brakes. It might be that the servo has an incorrect advantage - there are different versions that give a different gain, you might need a "softer" one.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

There used to be brake pads for the Minor (and other classics) that were shown to work as well as disc brakes at stopping an old car quickly, just wondered if it could be the pads not the servo that's making it stop violently.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Rob D wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:36 pm I may have discribed the problem a little confusing. Regardless of who's driving with the servo connected the brakes are quite violent when pressed. I thought the servo would just ease the peddle, a bit more like a modern car. So there's no way of making them assisted.
So disconnect the vacuum pipe to the servo and plug it so air not drawn into the engine and try the brakes, if fixed the servo is too powerful of an assistance, if still the same then its a problem in the foundation brakes.
By violent do you mean the brakes are grabbing and not progressive?
Regards Bill
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Thank you Bill. I'll try that. It was fine before the servo was fitted. Thought the servo would have made it litter for the wife too use.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

There are a couple of different ratio servos around, usually 1.7 and 1.9. It could be that the servo you have is too powerful for the weight of the car.
Vancam70

Post by Vancam70 »

If the brake shoes are on the wrong way round can that not make the snatchy ? I'm sure I heard that , probably from dad !
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

panky wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:26 pm There are a couple of different ratio servos around, usually 1.7 and 1.9. It could be that the servo you have is too powerful for the weight of the car.
I think you'll find the range is a lot wider than that ...
caparo7.JPG
caparo7.JPG (100.91 KiB) Viewed 407 times

John ;-)
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Panky's right...

... and if you have a 4.5 : 1 , your nose will be through the screen.

John ;-)