Rear wheel bearing

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Morris Minor66
MMOC Member: No

Rear wheel bearing

Post by Morris Minor66 »

I have replaced the rear wheel bearing oil seals and put new bearings in the hub the drivers side hub is now very tight on the stub axle does anyone know why this might be?
Peted7202
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear wheel bearing

Post by Peted7202 »

The assembly needs to be set as per the diagram with a 0.001 to 0.004 bearing protrusion.
Attachments
Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly.jpg
Rear Wheel Bearing Assembly.jpg (62.1 KiB) Viewed 504 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would suggest that the bearing protrusion and/or gasket thickness will not effect the tightness of the bearing on the axle stub as described by the O.P.
It may be that there is a burr on the axle stub which will need to be smoothed out. The inner race of the wheel bearing should be a sliding fit onto the axle stub.
If the O.P. means that the hub is tight to turn when assembled on the axle stub then that could be down to bearing pre-load.
The standard issue gasket is not always of the right thickness to attain the correct pre-load. In that case gaskets of a different thickness to the standard issue will have to be made or obtained. The rear hub gasket is easily made and gasket papers of varying thicknesses are available on line.
Having the right pre-load does not mean that all play is removed from the single row bearing especially if the bearing is graded a C3 item.
There has been much discussion on this site as regards using C3 rear wheel bearings but latterly Unipart (part of BL) supplied C3 rear wheel bearings for the Morris Minor as factory replacement items.
Note: pre-load in this instance means the nip or grip of the bearing outer race in the body of the hub.
The actual pre-load or slack of the bearing race is set by the manufacturer not by any adjustment carried out by the person replacing the wheel bearing.

Morris Minor66
MMOC Member: No

Post by Morris Minor66 »

Hello, thanks for your reply. It was tight on the hub before the fitting of the half shafts so I will remove the hub and check for burs. Do you have a link for the original R&M bearings? To my knowledge they would of been the original bearings I took out and they seemed in good order just the oil seals had crumbled.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The original Minor 1000 R & M rear wheel bearing has the numbers 40-M97 stamped on the outer race and 40-N97 & 35L stamped on the inner race.
Any good bearing supplier should be able to supply bearings to the above numbers.
If your original bearings are good I would keep them for future use.