Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Markpin
MMOC Member: No

Best solution?

Post by Markpin »

Hi

I have just bought a Minor traveller which is a bit more rusty than I hoped it would be. I was looking for a car to use occasionally now and saw that the car I bought has had welding issues a few years ago on the MOT. My expectation was that the repairs had been done as a number of MOTs had been done since but clearly whatever was done wasn't good as quite a bit of repair is now needed. The car also has some soft wood in places so its far from ideal, The Frame could go a few more years but with the welding needed soon, it just adds to the list. I paid a bit too much for this car which is totally my fault as I used the recent past MOTs as my gauge, rather than go and look myself so clearly I have leant a lesson. its probably still worth most of what I paid as its a complete car with the modified front suspension for the disc brakes, servo and pedal box and also the 1275 with a later block version and it drives pretty well.

So, here is my question;

It currently has the Ford Gearbox conversion to the 5 speed type 9 and having driven it up the road, its a good gearbox, and the car pulls well. My current thinking is to put a standard gearbox back in and use the type 9 in one of my Fords and then sell the minor on. Its got the brakes and nice engine but clearly with the welding and in time the wood, its a bit too needy for me at the moment. If I kept it, it would be a number of years before I could get the welding and wood done so its either keep it out the way or sell it one to someone who has the time to sort it now. Or kill it? I fully appreciate and am very impressed at the cost and availability of parts including metal so clearly I could sort it fully and still make a profit eventually but I am not going to have the time for this one for years. I would ideally like to sell it after the gearbox,
Any thoughts?
unclealec
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Best solution?

Post by unclealec »

I feel your pain and sympathise - but-
You are ignoring Rule No. 1 of the classic car rabbit hole you have plunged down - you will never make a profit if you pay for work done.
You would do well to accept that financial damage limitation is the best that you can hope for.
If you can bring yourself to accept that - you have plenty of time to learn the necessary welding skills, maybe with the help of local authority courses. There are those amongst us who would welcome the opportunity to bring back to soundness an ailing classic; therein lies a large part of the enjoyment of owning a classic car.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

If I was in your position of not being enthusiastic about the project, I’d get rid of it. Can’t see the pleasure of spending money on something you don’t want !

rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

I have to agree with the two response above. The words profit and Morris Minor rarely go together and if your heart isn't in the repair process then you might as well out it.

Depending on the price you're asking, you might find it simpler to leave the type 9 there and buy one separately for your other car. I would imagine that the Traveller would command a higher price with all the nice upgrades it has.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
Markpin

Post by Markpin »

Hi

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I can weld and spend years in the motor trade repairing the mechanical stuff back in the 80s, so I won't need to pay anyone, just need to have time and working always gets in the way. Hence the desire to buy a car that actually worked for a change! Clearly I do know better and it was probably the beer and the Ebay effect that led to this dilemma! Not the first time I must also point out!
The list of repairs my car needs and the price of panels and the wood along with the final values possible on these cars would still make a profit possible in the long run, and I did buy it because my family had one for much of my child hood, thus I have always wanted one.

If it was my only project then I would just get it done over the next few months and be happy driving it around. Unfortunately I have two amazons, a MGB GT, a Mk 1 Cortina, a Sunbeam Rapier, a Damiler VDP V12 and 3 consul Capris which also need quite a bit of work. Those, plus my other more recent cars mean that I have a list ahead of the Morris.

I am pretty certain that i will swap the gearbox as I would like it in my Cortina or one of my Capris which does seem to suit it better. The current price of good type 9 gearboxes makes the swap actually quite logical for a few hours work. Once done, I think I will advertise the Morris and if not lucky, then I will accept that its got to be fixed so it will just join the queue and waits its turn. I am due to retire this decade so who knows! The Morris would still have the engine and front brake and suspension upgrades so would be interesting to someone. If only it was possible to spend you time playing instead of working,
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Best way to get your money back would be to stick a secondhand 1098 engine in as well, 1275's go for the same stupid money as type 9's.
momo67
Minor Friendly

Post by momo67 »

unclealec wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:44 am I feel your pain and sympathise - but-
You are ignoring Rule No. 1 of the classic car rabbit hole you have plunged down - you will never make a profit if you pay for work done.
You would do well to accept that financial damage limitation is the best that you can hope for.
If you can bring yourself to accept that - you have plenty of time to learn the necessary welding skills, maybe with the help of local authority courses. There are those amongst us who would welcome the opportunity to bring back to soundness an ailing classic; therein lies a large part of the enjoyment of owning a classic car.
i totally agree with your response..
Markpin

Post by Markpin »

kevin s wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:16 pm Best way to get your money back would be to stick a secondhand 1098 engine in as well, 1275's go for the same stupid money as type 9's.

Interesting suggestion, I hadn't considered that alternative. I do have a either a spare pre cross flow or a Pinto along with a overdrive gearbox that could be squeezed in. That way I could sell the 1275, and the type 9 conversion parts too separately and use the type 9 on one of my Capris.

So, once welded up the Moggie would go nicely and I would have also cleared some money to help the process.

Any idea how much a complete 1275 along with electronic ignition would go for? Its the later engine without the side plates (assuming that the earlier 1275s did have side plates?) Runs well with the more modern single SU currently.

I have seen listings for the ford Type 9 conversion parts such as Bell housing / slave cylinder etc etc on ebay for quite a price, do they sell?
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

people seem to be asking at least £600 for any 1275 whatever state it's in, more for one which can be shown to run well, do a search with history in ebay to see what they have gone for.
Markpin

Post by Markpin »

I have just looked and there does seem to be quite a variation between the basic A series and the 1275. Its a bit daft but if I swapped the engine and transmission back to standard and then sold the 1275 engine, the type 9 conversion parts minus the actual gearbox that I would use else where, the car would owe me very little! It could then wait quietly on the drive until I get the chance to sort it properly.

All food for thought!

Actually, I have always wanted to put the old fiat twin cam and gearbox from a 131 into a minor, i reckon that would make it move better!