Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

10CC 1098

Post by BaritoneUke »

Think I've tracked down one of these slightly more scarce (midget) 1098's, to replace a 948 (but it'll be used to source reconditioned block, crank, con rods etc. that need exchange items, and to provide some parts that are peculiar to the 10CC).
But what else am I going to need?
Planning to use a minor ribbed gearbox for now...but it might not mate with midget clutch so possibly some work there. Also clutch linkage.
Any pointers would be really appreciated. It's going to be quite a job I think :) but interested to see what can be achieved with a 1098 even if in this case it's a variant of standard specs.
The first thing that came to mind is that I need to get the larger crank rear oil seal kit unless the reconditioner fits one :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: 10CC 1098

Post by philthehill »

Unless you can provide a machined/ground surface for the lip of the seal to run on I would give a lip seal conversion a wide miss.
The Minor ribbed 1098cc gearbox will fit and you can use the Minor clutch release mechanism/linkage with the right release bearing.
The 10CC flywheel PCD is different to the standard 10V flywheel PCD.
Below is a photo of the bottom end of a 10CC 'A' Series engine. Note the studs & nuts holding the main bearing caps instead of bolts.
10CC engine 1.jpg
10CC engine 1.jpg (251.04 KiB) Viewed 375 times
The rear engine plate for a 10CC engine is Part No: 12G453 and has the number cast into it.
The 1098cc Minor rear engine plate is Pt No: 12G275 and is not suitable
The 1275cc Midget rear engine plate is Pt No: AEG552.
I would use the correct 12G453 rear engine plate instead of trying to make the others fit which may lead to cracking of the plate resulting in oil leaks.

BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Re: 10CC 1098

Post by BaritoneUke »

Thanks for that very useful, I'll try and get it with the back plate and flywheel, with any luck it will be the whole lump.👍