Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Number plate light

Post by MoggyMatilda »

I got a new number plate light & im wondering which wire goes where? Does the black or red or go the middle connection?

Thanks.

I’ve tried it both ways but it doesn’t work. So I’ll have to investigate further. The previous light worked before I changed it but the glass was broken & corroded so I got a new one
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Number plate light

Post by ManyMinors »

The red wire is the live 12volt supply so that needs to go to the (probably brass) contact which connects to the bottom of the bulb.
The black is the earth so that needs to connect with the side of the bulb - the body of the lamp.
Always a good idea to make a not or take a photograph before you dismantle anything :wink:
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by svenedin »

When I changed mine I connected it up incorrectly and swiftly blew the fuse. Follow the earth wire back from the boot lid and check the earth is good.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Black is always the Earth Wire. Lamps always earth to the body.
Red is the Side Lights, which includes the number plate, so Red to central contact.
Make sure you have a supply, but also make sure the earth is good.
Use a meter if you have one, 12v on the red when switched on, and the Black should be near zero resistance, perhaps just an Ohm.
But don't forget to zero the meter before checking resistance. Exact method depending what sort of meter you're using.
Just follow the instructions that came with it.
Failing that, there's bound to be a Video for it on youtube... :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If you did connect the wires the wrong way round at first then the fuse (if fitted) would have blown, meaning that the second attempt still won't work. Look below the voltage regulator for an inline fuse holder with red wires. Check and if necessary replace the fuse. NB 5 amp, not the 35 amp from the main fuse box.
As others have said, in the lamp unit then red to the base of the bulb and black to the frame/body.
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

So it turns out it was a blown fuse. Inline fuse under the voltage regulator. Is it ok to rewire this for a newer blade style fuse holder?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MoggyMatilda wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:59 am So it turns out it was a blown fuse. Inline fuse under the voltage regulator. Is it ok to rewire this for a newer blade style fuse holder?
That inline fuse is for far more than the Number Plate Light, it's all the side lights and the panel lights too.
You probably ruptured it while fiddling with the number plate fitting. :roll:

It's you car, you can rewire it to a more modern one if you wish, but I don't understand why you think you need to. .... :-?
Seems a pointless thing to do IMHO.

It did it's job and isolated the circuit when there was a fault.
Basil the 1955 series II

MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

My thinking was maybe the blade fuses are more readily available than the glass type? If I don’t have to rewire it I’ll leave it as is! Thanks!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

MoggyMatilda wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:18 am My thinking was maybe the blade fuses are more readily available than the glass type? If I don’t have to rewire it I’ll leave it as is! Thanks!
Glass type fuses are very readily available. Even Halfords sell them.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen