Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndyC
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Electrical issue

Post by AndyC »

Good afternoon
Been out in Winnie today and all good. Stopped and started again and now no indicators, heater fan, wipers, petrol gauge and stereo.
Is it likely to be a fuse? I have checked a blade one on the back of the stereo and another blade one for sat nav and seem ok. I’ve checked the 2 35amp fuses and will replace them - is it likely to be a fuse or dirty connection - car starts and runs fine
Thanks in advance
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Electrical issue

Post by svenedin »

Without looking at a diagram which I don’t have to hand now I cannot say whether these are all on the same fuse. It is either the fuse or dirty connections to the fuse. More likely to be dirty connections to the fuse. If the fuse has actually blown this is more of an issue.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

All those devices are on the single "Ignition" fuse; so it (or its dirty connections/loose wires) look likely suspects.
If you've got a multimeter, it would make any further investigations a lot, lot easier.
Be careful probing around the fuses and wiring with any metal tool (eg screwdriver). Shorting the "volty" side of wiring or terminals to the bodywork will - at least - make you jump.
As svendin implies, you need to identify and rectify* the cause, if the fuse keeps blowing.
* no pun intended; it's already DC!
AndyC
Minor Friendly

Post by AndyC »

Thanks for all the advice, cleaned the terminals and new fuses and everything working again!
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Was the original fuse intact? This would give you reassurance that dirt was always the issue, rather than an intermittent downstream problem.
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

There always seems to be something new that appears after the annual winter hibernation.

I have just replaced the tappet covers with new gaskets as one used to leak oil excessively. As ever, the central bolt had not been put back with the correct gaskets and just using silicon. My test drive earlier today shows no leaks! :tu1:

However, after 10 minutes the indicators stopped working and the fuel gauge, stop lights as well. Classic fuse failure I thought. At home, checked the wring diagramme, removed the fuse box cover, tested the fuses and both ok. Perhaps they had moved in their clips I thought? So rechecked the indicators and they did work. So I put the cover back on, checked again and indicators not working - took the cover off again and they work.

Now in the coffee break, I thought I would see if others in the forum have had this problem - hence my addition to this thread.

Coffee break over - I will go and have another look and report later.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Nickol wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:07 pm There always seems to be something new that appears after the annual winter hibernation.

I have just replaced the tappet covers with new gaskets as one used to leak oil excessively. As ever, the central bolt had not been put back with the correct gaskets and just using silicon. My test drive earlier today shows no leaks! :tu1:

However, after 10 minutes the indicators stopped working and the fuel gauge, stop lights as well. Classic fuse failure I thought. At home, checked the wring diagramme, removed the fuse box cover, tested the fuses and both ok. Perhaps they had moved in their clips I thought? So rechecked the indicators and they did work. So I put the cover back on, checked again and indicators not working - took the cover off again and they work.

Now in the coffee break, I thought I would see if others in the forum have had this problem - hence my addition to this thread.

Coffee break over - I will go and have another look and report later.
With car electric running at 12 volts, the system is really fussy about clean connections. Imagine a battery operated torch and how just a bit of corrosion on the battery contacts and the torch will not work. It is like that. Clean the contacts with switch cleaner (isopropyl alcohol) and if necessary remove corrosion with abrasive. If the contacts are really bad, buy a new fuse box.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

I had already surmised that this was the case so cleaned up the fuse clips and now all is well. The fuse box itself seems in quite reasonable condition and does not need replacing. i might however supplement it in future.
It was nice to drive it again ('69 Traveller) after the winter lay off on dry roads. Roll on spring time.! :D
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]