MOT exempt for 1275 engine

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Gunner
MMOC Member: No

MOT exempt for 1275 engine

Post by Gunner »

hi all. I have recently bought a 57 4-door with a 1275 engine fitted. Problem is that the v5 states 948cc. I'm confused by the GOV UK guidance which states that the cylinder configuration being the same as the Minor 948 engine - 4 cylinder in-line - does not constitute a substantial change however the engine being 1275 was not an alternate configuration for the Minor so could be classed as a substantial change. If I get the v5 updated to the present engine - number and capacity - will this change the present tax / MOT exempt status. Any advice appreciated.

Grahame
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MOT exempt for 1275 engine

Post by svenedin »

As I understand it, the fact that the 1275 and 948 are both BMC A-series variants and both inline 4 cylinder it is NOT classed as a "substantial" change. Regardless, it is important that your V5 is correct as this could affect your insurance. One could argue that a 1275 really ought to be matched with better braking but that is not really relevant here.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The actual wording is
Engine – alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered a substantial change.
Followed by
If the number of cylinders in an engine is different from the original, it is likely to be, but not necessarily, the case that the current engine is not alternative original equipment.
The 1275 is most certainly an alternative CC of the A Series Engine and was available during the production run of the Minor.
I do not read it that the engine has to be an alternative of the engine model and an alternative original equipment.
I read it that you could change the engine from one size to another, or you could for example change a petrol to a diesel if that was an original alternative at the time.

I would however check that the Brakes have at least been upgraded to the latter 8" fronts of the 1098 engine, considering you've got an extra 277cc working there. :o
Basil the 1955 series II

Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Thanks for the replies so far. Brakes have been upgraded to 8" on the front but the next investigation will be the carb as it is only a single SU - model to be investigated - rather than the twin configuration.

Grahame
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Gunner wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:30 pm Thanks for the replies so far. Brakes have been upgraded to 8" on the front but the next investigation will be the carb as it is only a single SU - model to be investigated - rather than the twin configuration.

Grahame
That's something that you have the later drums but many going from a 1098 (which already has 8" front drums) to a 1275 would go for front discs. I would if I did that but I like originality and my 1098 convertible is not slow in my opinion. As for carburettors there is lot you can read on the subject. I am no expert at all but I have read many times that although twin SU's look great, it is better to use a single bigger SU.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Just make sure you insurance company know about the modifications to your vehicle. I wouldn't worry so much about the DVLA.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

mobylette wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:33 pm Just make sure you insurance company know about the modifications to your vehicle. I wouldn't worry so much about the DVLA.
I wouldn't be so dismissive of ensuring the DVLA have the correct details. I believe the fine is £1000 if they choose to go that route.
Gunner wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:13 pm . I have recently bought a 57 4-door with a 1275 engine fitted. Problem is that the v5 states 948cc.
What I didn't ask before is whether the V5C Engine Serial is incorrect also?

If it's simply a change of engine that has never been previously notified, it's a fairly easy notification, although you may need to get an independent confirmation to support the change, unless of course you have some old paperwork that includes the engine purchase receipt?

If you need an independent confirmation of the engine details, either use a friendly garage, if you have one, or the MMOC can provide a letter for a cost.
If you PM simmitc he can explain further about the process, as to what it costs etc
Basil the 1955 series II

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

The other option is to stamp a strip of alloy with whatever is on the v5 and rivet it on the engine (this is effectively what happens on moderns) or just remove the tag altogether, if the block has been skimmed there is a good chance it doesen't have one anyway, as far as I am aware there is no legal obligation to have an engine number.