molding rear arches rather than piping

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Gunner
MMOC Member: No

molding rear arches rather than piping

Post by Gunner »

hi all, new to the forum but after some advice please. I am thinking of smoothing the arches to the body with bondo / filler but concerned about cracking - especially after painting. Has anyone any advice as to what is needed to do the job properly to avoid the chances of cracks appearing?

Grahame
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: molding rear arches rather than piping

Post by geoberni »

Such bodywork matters are not my forte, however I would sat that it's not going to be easy with bolted on wings and more likely to move in my view.

I know (pre-55), the Front wings started with piping but then went to filler, but being hidden in the bonnet trough is a lot different to being exposed bodywork.
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, someone may have done this successfully but, until they pop up on here and tell us, I would advise against it.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

What do you hope to gain from doing it?
I've always felt that having bolt-on panels is an advantage as it means repairs are so much more simple.
The filler used to fill the gap along the front wing joint is simply a caulking sealant which doesn't fully harden and can be painted over.
You could try something like that along the rear wing joint as well but I'm not sure you'll gain anything over the piping :wink:
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Thanks all for your comments. My rationale was to tidy up some work by previous owner. Maybe I need to reconsider as I agree that removable wings does make life easier especially when repairs are needed.

Grahame