Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
131XUM
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

2speed switch

Post by 131XUM »

how would i wire up a side/headlight switch with relays to use it as a 2 speed window wiper switch.is it possible.
simmitc

Re: 2speed switch

Post by simmitc »

You need a 2-speed wiper motor. Unlike typical heater motors that can be switched in series with an external resistor to vary the speed, wiper motors have two sets of internal windings. There are 2-speed wiper kits available that come with the motor, switch and matching wiring harness.
131XUM
Minor Friendly

Post by 131XUM »

thankyou for answering my query about window wiper switch,i know i can buy a kit with the motor and switch,but i wanted to keep the dash looking
somewhat original.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

What year is the car - later carts had "flick" or toggle switches, and the switch for the 2-speed kit matches those. If you have the earlier pull on switches then that will be more difficult. You would have to get the kit and use a meter to work out which terminals were connected for which speed (including "off") and then look at a pull light switch to see if you could replicate using those terminals. the "off" connection is important to allow the self parking to operate; and that might be a problem with the lighting switch, although a jumper might be able to do it. Also, thge lighting switch would have an L rather than a W on the knob.
dp
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dp »

I know it is possible but I can't remember how since I did it many years ago and no longer have my Minor See the attached image which I think is for a Mini or Marina 2 speed wiper which I used some years ago.

By trial and error work out which connectors connect at positions 0, 1 and 2 for a spare light switch. Then use them for slow and fast as per the diagram.
Attachments
e06.JPG
e06.JPG (30.35 KiB) Viewed 681 times
131XUM
Minor Friendly

Post by 131XUM »

THANKS for all the info.My car is 1963 traveller and has the pull switches,
it's covererd up outside so as soon as we get some dry days i'll tackle it.
thanks again graham.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Wiper motor are switched earth, so the park is in the motor by maintaining earth via a track contact, it then has a gap( open circuit) when wipers reach park position. With the switch in off it is not earthing so the motor stops. With the switch on it provides earth so the gap has no effect and wipers continue. As stated the two speed are switching different windings in the two speed motor.
Regards Bill