Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Diff Breather

Post by myoldjalopy »

So long since I've done this, I've forgotten......
I want to check the diff breather is clear. I can see the breather near the top of the diff casing. Its an old metal one and appears to have a groove in the cap, which I assume is for unscrewing the thing. Is it as simple as that - use a screwdriver to unscrew it, check its all clear and screw back in?
Seems obvious but the only pictures of ones I can find are plastic and without the groove in the cap, so I thought I'd better check. Car is a 1955 model.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Diff Breather

Post by philthehill »

Just unscrew after cleaning off and dirt on the axle casing around the breather.
Some breathers you can dismantle and clean before re-assembling an re-fitting.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thanks Phil, I'll get me screwdriver out! Makes it easier than the modern plastic ones without a slot in the cap 8)
I doubt this one will dismantle, but we'll see....
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Non-destructive check might be remove filler plug and connect a low pressure air supply, to check for a clear route to atmosphere (piece of tissue paper lodged over the breather) ? Don’t try to blow oil past the seals!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Can't see what's 'destructive' about unscrewing the breather by means of a screwdriver fitted into the slotted head. In any case, the tube, the hole in the tube and the space underneath the cap were pretty much as clean as a whistle. I made sure the drain holes in the brake back plates were clear while I was under there as well 8)