Dim indicator arm light

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Alan Matthew
MMOC Member: No

Dim indicator arm light

Post by Alan Matthew »

Hi, . . the indicator flasher unit in my '67 minor stopped working recently. I ordered another online and fitted it when it arrived, . . however the green light on the end of the indicator arm has diminished to a brightness that is almost invisible. I've since ordered another relay - from another supplier - but the light is still (almost invisibly) dim. The car is positive earth - and I've confirmed that I have ordered the correct unit. I took a photo of the terminals to ensure that I've refitted them correctly. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Dim indicator arm light

Post by svenedin »

It may not be the flasher relay that is at fault but there are some shoddy relays out there.

To test the relay connect a test bulb to the "P" terminal of the relay and then to earth. Operate the indicators. If the test lamp work fine the issue is with your wiring and not the flasher relay.

If you find that the relay is fine but the wiring is at fault you will need to trace where the fault is. The light green wire from the "P" terminal of the flasher can goes through the bulkhead and to a bullet connector underneath/behind the driver's side glovebox. This bullet connector connects to the wiring of the indicator stalk assembly. You would also need to check the continuity of the wire going up through the middle of the indicator stalk to the bulb and the earth of the metal indicator stalk. It sounds like a bad connection somewhere to me but before you go to the trouble of taking things apart do test the relay. I have one of these which is very cheap but useful: https://www.drapertools.com/product/997 ... rewdriver/

These units are standard bimetallic strip flasher relays which work regardless of the polarity of the car: https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... asher-unit

Electronic versions of the flasher can relay are polarity sensitive and need to be earthed.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by svenedin »

This is an original Lucas indicator assembly (later versions may be slightly different). These wires are underneath as seen from the steering wheel and to see them properly you would have to remove the indicator assembly from the steering column.

The white and black wire supplies power to the pilot lamp at the end of the indicator stalk (you can see it is fed from the light green wire). The black wire with a ring terminal clamped by a BA screw is the earth. As you troubleshoot the fault you could use your test lamp (or multimeter) connected across the green wire/black and white wire terminal and the black earth post.

Good luck!

Stephen
IMG_9647.jpeg
IMG_9647.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1116 times
IMG_9646.jpeg
IMG_9646.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1116 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I suspect it is the flasher unit. I had a similar problem recently and was so sick of the poor quality flasher units available that I sourced and fitted a VDO (German-made) one for a 1970s VW Beetle/T2 van. It works brilliantly.

Here is the sort of thing:

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ... x-21w.html
Alan Matthew

Post by Alan Matthew »

Thanks for the replies and tips . . . I'll read them through and get on to check things out. Certainly the quality of (some of) the replacement units leave something to be desired but having changed two, I suspect the fault lies somewhere else. The car has been completely restore and the wiring is new . . so further investigation is undoubtedly required!