Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Manifold flange thickness

Post by Mr Spigot »

Having tracked down an elusive carburettor problem (fast unadjustable tickover, stalling at junctions, uneven plug colour etc) to a leaking inlet manifold gasket, I bought an new gasket and installed it. I know from fitting it all originally many years ago that the thickness of the flanges on the inlet manifold (cooled alloy mini metro) was thinner that that of the exhaust manifold flanges (stainless 1.5" LCB). To obtain even tightening, I cut some washers in half and stuck them to whole washers to take up the gap - see photos. Has anyone else come across this and have any better solutions?
Attachments
Washer 1.jpg
Washer 1.jpg (53.48 KiB) Viewed 39699 times
Flange 1.jpg
Flange 1.jpg (46.08 KiB) Viewed 39699 times
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Manifold flange thickness

Post by oliver90owner »

I’ve milled down the thicker to the thickness of the thinner. I’ve added extra gasket material under the thinner item. I’ve made stepped washers with the lathe/milling machine. Never relied on glue as a fix, but if it works, why not, I suppose.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The problem is easily overcome by packing out with an additional manifold gasket cut just to the length of manifold which needs packing out. Cut vertically through the mount holes of the gasket to retain a location ability.
I have used this method many times without encountering any problems. No need to make up any fancy washers or machining manifold flanges.
Smear the faces of the gaskets with GP grease before fitting.

Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Thanks for the advice. Additional gasket material seems to be the easy answer.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Brilliantly simple solution! 8)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I've done the same on my traveller and the recently departed Mini and both worked fine with no issues since.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

i have stumbled across this thread because having removed the manifold from my 1098 Traveller in order to gain access to the tappet covers, I wanted to know if when replacing the gasket ( a new one) it should be smeared with grease or not? That seems to be the case.

I noticed when removing the nuts when I removed it that the two innermost ( most inaccessible ones) that they were loose.

Now it is mentioned in the thread that the inlet and outlet flanges are uneven? Is that what I can interpret? I suppose putting a straight edge against the flanges will show any discrepency. Until now, I have not noticed any performance shortfall.

Again, if I interpret correctly. I can use the cut sections of the old gasket ( which is in good condition ) over the inlets to achieve the correct spacing?
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

The gaskets should be lightly smeared with grease. If you have the standard manifolds, they should be the same thickness as far as I recall. I had fitted a Metro inlet manifold, and have a stainless LCB exhaust manifold, hence the difference. A straight edge across them should confirm. The inner nuts may have been loose as they can be a bit tight to get a socket on - a box spanner can help.