Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Damaged radiator

Post by myoldjalopy »

Bill_qaz wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:47 pm Is the pulley definitely fully home on the waterpump pulley and plate fitted on outside of fan? Measure from a fixed point on engine to fan blad on yours and compare, if the same then take some radiator location measurements. Also is the radiator the same thickness number of tubes visible through filler the same on both cars?
Screenshot_20231216-143940_eBay.jpg
Yes, I fitted a new water pump recently and the pulley was very tight and difficult to get on the new pump..........
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly

Post by Andyhereford »

Just to close this off. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Still not sure why the original problem occurred but I went back to the original work that I had done on the car. I took every thing off apart from the new water pump and thermostat. I then replaced everything again making sure that everything was fitted correctly.
I had to file the “ radiator securing holes” somewhat to allow the new radiator to fit correctly.
Everything seems to have gone on correctly and the measurements between the fan blade and the radiator are now the same as on my Morris.
So although it would have been nice to know exactly why the original problem happened and what I had done wrong / not done it is good to have hopefully got my daughters car back on the road.
Happy Christmas to all and best wishes for the New Year.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

"I had to file the “ radiator securing holes” somewhat to allow the new radiator to fit correctly."
I fitted a new radiator recently and wondered if I was going to have to do the same. However, after much faffing about I did get it to fit eventually, although it involved a lot of cursing and head scratching. Whenever I had to take the old one out in the past, it went back in easily.
Anyway, glad its sorted!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Regarding radiator fitting, a while ago I fitted a new rad and had to modify the associated area. It seems the art of measuring is a thing of the past for some manufacturers, it’s more a case of ‘that’ll do where’s the next one’ I kept the old rad ( that fitted) to repair later,

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Glad you've got it all sorted and many thanks for finishing the saga off. So many people don't.
There does seem to be some fettling required with all manner of replacement items these days, I suspect it's because some 'copies of copies' have at some point become the benchmark.

It's a common tale when there are not the original drawings available.
I'm reminded of back in the early 1980s, when I was working on RAF Tornado aircraft; the Landing Gear electrical harnesses were initially classed as scrap when a microswitch was faulty.
Then the maintenance bays were given authority to replace faulty switches. But it was regarded as 'Basic Trade Skills' by those much higher up the management chain and there were no explicit instructions, like lengths of the individual branches of the harnesses.
After a several years, there became a noticeable increase in the number of aircraft suffering damage to the harness, rather than just switch failure. :-?
Basically the harness, going to several places on the individual undercarriage leg has to bend at the right places as the leg retracts and lowers, and not get snagged on anything in the process... :-?
An investigation soon established that the lack of precise overhaul instructions had resulted in engineers allowing a 'smidgin' extra length on the replacement switch cable length. Some overhauled cable harnesses, having been repaired several times, were found to be several inches too long on some of their individual branches.
After that the manufactures build drawings were obtained. :roll:
NLG.JPG
NLG.JPG (33.81 KiB) Viewed 13660 times
It's amazing what random photos you can find on the internet, that's an actual Tornado Nose Leg harness...
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

les wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:20 am Regarding radiator fitting, a while ago I fitted a new rad and had to modify the associated area. It seems the art of measuring is a thing of the past for some manufacturers, it’s more a case of ‘that’ll do where’s the next one’ I kept the old rad ( that fitted) to repair later,
Interesting. I fitted a new rad a few years back (from ESM) and it fitted perfectly. Like you I kept the original for repair at a later date!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen