MM radiator top hose

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

MM radiator top hose

Post by Mr Spigot »

Following on from the need to drain my radiator, the top and bottom hoses are clearly of some age and while not leaking, are very hard and unyielding and show signs of perishing at the ends, so I anticipate having to replace them if I can ever get them off.
I obtained a new old stock John Bull top hose which, according to the JB catalogue, is the correct application for a 1952 SV engine with no water pump. However, this hose is only 3.5” long, whereas the existing hose is 5” long. Have JB got it wrong or is there a better explanation?
Attachments
IMG_0421.jpeg
IMG_0421.jpeg (128.11 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Re: MM radiator top hose

Post by philipkearney »

Looking at the newly available hoses from ESM and similar, there are two lengths of hose. The shorter of the two, like the nos one you have acquired, is for sv motors with a water pump and the longer hose, as fitted to your car, is for those without a water pump.
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Re: MM radiator top hose

Post by Mr Spigot »

Thanks. It seems the John Bull catalogue listing was wrong, although the seller took some persuading as it was the first time it had been proved wrong in 30 years! However now refunded and correct one ordered from ESM.
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305