Alternative Engines - Just How Dumb A Thought?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Exasperant
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Alternative Engines - Just How Dumb A Thought?

Post by Exasperant »

So, "rescued" a Minor that someone was part way into fitting a B series and box into. Fitting seemed to mostly mean chopping a chunk of tunnel out, which is going to be so much fun to fix.

Anyway, I have a spare Minor gearbox, but no engine. I also have a car that's never going to be completely as it rolled out the factory original. And I happen to have a Triumph 1850 engine and automatic box that've been in my way for "some time".

There's also the option to buy the MGB setup that's still in the car.

My preference is to find a 1098 to drop in there, I get the feeling a B series is going to cause hellish handling issues. And the Triumph engine would probably be uncomfortably weighty too.

But... How much of a crime against Minordom would it be if the B engine didn't come out, or the Triumph engine happened to slip and wedge itself under the bonnet? I'm trying to explore options here, and given someone's hacked MGB pedals/ masters onto the bulkhead the car's never going to be standard again.

There might also be an option of a 1275 Maestro engine, but I'm not sure I want to go through the machining faffery that seems to involve.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Alternative Engines - Just How Dumb A Thought?

Post by philthehill »

Its your car so you can do what you like with it.
Be aware that fitting a none factory fitted/alternative engines to a minor may require additional paperwork and professional examination. There is plenty of information on line relating to modifying your vehicle and the requirements of DVLA.

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

... not forgetting the Maestro is a transverse fiting engine so mating it to a Moggie box ( or any other for that matter ) may be problematical..

John ;-)
Exasperant
Minor Friendly

Post by Exasperant »

Sleeper wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:44 pm ... not forgetting the Maestro is a transverse fiting engine so mating it to a Moggie box ( or any other for that matter ) may be problematical..
But not as problematical as fitting one of the spare transverse Metro ones I've got :D

Basically I can probably get my hands on a cheap Maestro 1275, that might not have completely seized yet (it's not exactly lovingly stored). Had thought about it as a backup for my Midget, but the amount of hassle to get it to play nicely with a ribcase box keeps putting me off.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

You may lose Historic Vehicle status by changing to a non standard engine. If you do you will have to have annual MoT tests and pay road tax.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The 1275cc transverse Metro engine can be converted to a inline engine quite easily by using a 1275cc Marina/Midget crankshaft and the MED rear seal kit.
The additional holes for the rear engine plate will have to be drilled and tapped, The two dowel location holes will need to be drilled. Additionally the oil pickup hole threaded to accept the in line oil pick up pipe. Also the holes for the top half of the oil thrower ring will need to be drilled and tapped plus the additional two holes for the sump bolts.
MED do a very useful 'You Tube' video on the conversion which spells out the requirements and procedure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxy1pUq83Y
The 1275cc Metro conversion is a much easier and 'do it yourself' task than trying to convert the 1275cc Maestro engine.

ecifiedthyt

Post by ecifiedthyt »

To put it simply, I have a good chance of acquiring a low-cost Maestro 1275, which may or may not have entirely seized up yet (it has not been preserved with much care). I had considered using it as a backup for my Midget, but the amount of additional work that would be required to get it to work properly with a ribcase box is preventing me from doing so.