Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Exasperant
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Well This Isn't Ideal...

Post by Exasperant »

Got myself a project. That's currently got an MGB engine and overdrive box in it (not mine, they're coming out when the seller gets round to it).

That's all fine, but less fine is whoever fit them them decided it'd be a great idea to hack the bodywork out the way...

How big a job have I let myself in for, and where do I even get a repair section!?
Attachments
IMG_20231205_193853_243.jpg
IMG_20231205_193853_243.jpg (961.84 KiB) Viewed 12812 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Well This Isn't Ideal...

Post by philthehill »

You may have to do as I did and buy a scrap shell and cut out the floor parts you require.
The area you require is more often than not soaked in oil/grease so never rusts away.
I had to replace the whole of the transmission tunnel - not through rot but because I had cut away the floor and crossmember so as to fit the engine alongside the driver and make the car mid engine. :-?

Exasperant
Minor Friendly

Post by Exasperant »

philthehill wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:11 am You may have to do as I did and buy a scrap shell and cut out the floor parts you require.
The area you require is more often than not soaked in oil/grease so never rusts away.
I had to replace the whole of the transmission tunnel - not through rot but because I had cut away the floor and crossmember so as to fit the engine alongside the driver and make the car mid engine. :-?
For once I'm glad I already have a mid engined car that was made that way, so I'm not tempted to do something like that to a Minor!

Yeah, it seems about the only repair section not available new is the bit I need. I've got the chance to chop some floor out a split screen with terminal rear rot, but the hole looks a different shape? I'm wondering if it's possible to adapt to fit, but that sounds like an annoying amount of work even if it can be done.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The hole for the Minor 1000 gearbox is different to that in the split screen so you do need a Minor 1000 floor section.
In my honest opinion it will be easier if you can get a S/H Minor 1000 floor section and weld it in.

Exasperant
Minor Friendly

Post by Exasperant »

philthehill wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:20 pm The hole for the Minor 1000 gearbox is different to that in the split screen so you do need a Minor 1000 floor section.
In my honest opinion it will be easier if you can get a S/H Minor 1000 floor section and weld it in.
Yeah, welding in the right shaped bit definitely seems the easier approach. It's the sourcing one that could be tricky. Might have a lead though, although it'd be from a shell the seller is currently trying to shift complete as a resto (and which I wish I'd bought instead of this one! Half the price, all the tunnel...)
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

where do I even get a repair section!?
Sorry if this is a silly suggestion, but...
Have you asked the seller whether he still has the cut out section lying around?
Don
Exasperant
Minor Friendly

Post by Exasperant »

don58van wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:49 pm Sorry if this is a silly suggestion, but...
Have you asked the seller whether he still has the cut out section lying around?
Don
Not all that silly - Originally the deal involved talk of picking over a future donor car. Sadly that future existed in a different timeline...

The seller bought this thing as an unfinished project which I think had been sitting around for several years, so the missing piece is long gone.