Traveller - stains on paintwork from wood treatment and dark marks on woodtreating wood dark

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
eng622
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller - stains on paintwork from wood treatment and dark marks on woodtreating wood dark

Post by eng622 »

The PO was carless treating the wood leaving splashes on the paint. Notes about the car tell me Danish oil has been used in the past but may have been treated since. Trying with rubbing alcohol 70% may be helping but having to scrape off with my finger nails. Paint is 2 pack so no harm done. Any better ideas.
Second problem is the wood in places has dark stains. Intending to try oxalic acid, anyone had success with this. Do I need to rub down the offending areas to remove all the oil/varnish with a scraper/coarse grit paper first.
Gary123

Re: Traveller - stains on paintwork from wood treatment and dark marks on woodtreating wood dark

Post by Gary123 »

Hi yes remove any previous finish on the wood by rubbing down , once free of any finish , give it a was with warm water and soda Chrystals as it is about to dry off and lighten from the soda hit it with Oxalic and use wire wool to scrub , you may need to do this a few times but will remove dark spots , then thorouly wash down with plenty of clean water, let dry , rub down with fine paper and apply danish oil at least 3 coats
laslesta

Re: Traveller - stains on paintwork from wood treatment and dark marks on woodtreating wood dark

Post by laslesta »

Gary123 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:29 pm Hi yes remove any previous finish on the wood by rubbing down , once free of any finish , give it a was with warm water and soda Chrystals as it is about to dry off and lighten from the soda hit it with Oxalic and use wire wool to scrub , you may need to do this a few times but will remove dark spots , then thorouly wash down with plenty of clean water, let dry , rub down with fine paper and apply danish oil at least 3 coats
I have the same problem as the owner of the article. I tried your solution, it only cleared up about 70% of the black spots. Then I tried to do it again a second time and I found it all clean.
Lasletasnow rider 3dUS
Davidmoore

Post by Davidmoore »

What is a common trade name for oxalic acid.\? Where do I find it?
Davidmoore

Post by Davidmoore »

What is a common trade name for oxalic acid.\? Where do I find it?