Break lights not working

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Vickysmith
MMOC Member: No

Break lights not working

Post by Vickysmith »

I have been checking my car over and changed a couple of fuses that looked like they needed changing. I was also hoping this would fix my washer spray and inside light. We had changed the bulb recently. I have noticed now my horn is not working and my fuel gage has suddenly stopped working. My headlights are working but my break lights stayed on even when I turned off the headlights. After spraying some WD40 the break lights now do not come on at all but headlights are fine? 🤔 Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Break lights not working

Post by les »

Regarding the gauge and horn, they work via the fuse box. Clean the contacts where the fuses fit. Check the fuses are good then replace. Re-brake lamps, If you’ve got a manual with a wiring diagram, you should be able to trace the route and components of the brake light circuit back to a 12volt supply, and possibly find a bad connection etc, although if they worked a while ago, sounds like connections are ok. Someone with a more comprehensive knowledge of electrical stuff may post to add to my thoughts.

geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Right then...
Hello Vicky, welcome, let's try and sort out your problems...
Firstly, get yourself a Workshop manual which has the wiring diagrams :wink:
Of course, if you or whoever is in this with you (you mentioned 'we'), aren't great with such diagrams, that might be a problem.

You can download a pdf of the workshop manual by searching for 'AKD530 Workshop Manual download' and there's several sites carry it.

Where were you spraying WD40?

It's a Moisture dispersant, that's where the WD comes from (W for Water), it's not great if used in the wrong places, it's also non conductive so can insulate electrical things....

The Horn and Interior Lights come from the Permanent Live Fuse, the one with Brown feeding it. The 2 Purple wires leading from it go the Horn and Int Lights.
Washer spray was never Electric when it left the factory, so that could be connected anywhere the installer decided, and believe me, some people connect them in ridiculous places. You'll have to try and follow that back physically.
Vickysmith wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:43 pm My headlights are working but my break lights stayed on even when I turned off the headlights. After spraying some WD40 the break lights now do not come on at all but headlights are fine?
Brake Lights have nothing to do with headlights; do you mean the Brake Lights or just the Side Lights, sometimes called Marker Lights?
Again, where were you spraying WD40?
Brake Lights are fed directly from the Brake Light Switch, which is operated by hydraulic pressure when you press the brake pedal. The switch is in the Brake line, near the bottom of the Radiator.

What age is the car?
That affects how the Side lights are wired up.

Fuel gauge, that's a Green wire from the Fuse fed by the White Wire(s). It's a common feed shared with the Wipers, do they work?

Look forward to your reply....
Basil the 1955 series II

Vickysmith

Post by Vickysmith »

Thank you so much for such wonderful advice, will see if I can sort it tomorrow. It is 1969 and I did mean break lights not side lights. I did spray WD40 everywhere!!! 🤨 I have had the car nearly 18 years and have always sprayed it and has usually done the trick 😂 think that must of been luck by the sounds of it!
I have only just joined the club and feel really sick as I am now selling my car as I can no longer afford the new body it needs. The work is all cosmetic as it is normally a great runner. Think it is playing up as it doesn’t want me to sell it 🥹 and I am very reluctant but know it will only get worse the longer it is left so need it to be right for someone to restore it back to how it deserves to be.
I had it totally restored 18 years ago with some modern upgrades not sure if this would change any of the issues. But really do appreciate the time and patience, listening to someone who is clearly not knowledgeable on cars. I will follow your advice and let you know. I was checking over and enjoying my last week driving it as someone is coming to view it on Saturday but might have to delay that until at least I have sorted the break lights. Anyway thanks again for both reply’s, just wish I had joined years ago with such lovely and helpful people. 😊
Vickysmith

Post by Vickysmith »

Just to add yes the wipers are working.