2023 Classic Car Show, NEC - where did the cars go?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pete Bags
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

2023 Classic Car Show, NEC - where did the cars go?

Post by Pete Bags »

Hi all,

Did many on this forum visit this year's Classic Car Show in Birmingham this weekend?

It was great to see the MMOC stand, and the Young Members stand (both with a good selection of the greatest cars ever made!) but what surprised me was the lack of cars from other makes - where were the French cars, Italian, Swedish and even German models? Even the free Goodwood classic car Sunday event has a wider and more interesting range of classic cars.

It almost felt like the Classic Ford Show at times - one hall almost entirely devoted to the brand. Many of the halls simply seemed to be outlets for car dealers selling their stock, much of it too modern to be called 'Classic'.

We came away somewhat under-whelmed - perhaps this is just a sign of the times? Are exhibitors put off by the cost of attending or something else? We have visited on and off a few times over the years, but after this years visit, sadly I'm not sure I would want to go again in a hurry.

I think the award for the most 'non-car' stands was split between the large stand selling conservatories and the large stand selling very expensive wooden garden/patio furniture - there seemed to be more stands this year selling things that had nothing to do with cars at all.

Of course, some of you may have gone and thought it was great - I just wish I had found it so as well.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 2023 Classic Car Show, NEC - where did the cars go?

Post by kevin s »

we were going to go on the friday, but when it came to it £40 each to get in £20 to park and the joy of the M1 and M25 on a friday night made me decide otherwise.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Attended Saturday and was totally underwhelmed nowhere near as many classics as for example at Bicester scramble.
As for the award for non motoring stand, mine goes to the leather couch and chair stand.
overpriced and should of been at ideal home exhibition :roll:
Even some of the club stands were repeated makes 3 Triumph clubs? 2 Volvo. Why couldn't they be together and have more variation in makes.
As said a whole hall of Ford's, a whole hall of dealers selling vehicles as well as a live auction of bikes and cars. I know some people like custom cars but don't they have their own show.
At £30 entry, £17.50 parking it was in my opinion a very disappointing show and I will not be attending again.
Regards Bill
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

As someone who attended the show, had a car on a stand and manned a stand for the three days of the show (as per most years, usually March and November annually), I partly agree with those comments but here are my thoughts.

Tickets for the show are very expensive, far higher than they should be, but this has always been the case. Most websites or groups advertising the show tell people to get the train or the bus to avoid parking costs which have always been high. If you are well organised, a visit can be done relatively cheaply but that involves planning travel and avoiding buying food in the show.

In terms of the variety and numbers of cars, this isn't down to the organisers. Clubs and groups apply for a stand and decide what and how many cars they wish to display. Clubs can only exhibit what members come forward with and it's getting harder to get people to come forward. Exhibiting a car is a big commitment, it needs to be there from Thursday to Sunday. The club stand I was on (not MMOC) yet again had people withdraw at the 11th hour and so I had to haul a car 300 miles south to Birmingham, leaving first thing on Thursday and getting home early on Monday morning. That's a big cost in time and money. All stands are run by volunteers and many people just don't want the hassle or commitment.

They layout is arranged by the show organisers and they group manufacturers together, so all Vauxhall and Opel together, Rootes groups,Simca etc together, Volvo clubs together, Mini clubs together, Morris, Austin and BMC/BL together. This makes navigation easier. The complaint about having too many of similar clubs together is very valid but usually results from club politics and the all too frequent fall outs and set up of rival clubs but is also dictated by whatever clubs put themselves forward. The organisers can only work with who come forward. Hall 8 was almost all Ford cars but then, Fords and in particular, fast Fords, are flavour of the month. Those clubs seem to be better at putting themselves forward. I'm not particularly interested in modified cars or other things li,e Americana but recognise others are and the classic car church is a broad one. Tastes and interests change, there are fewer pre war cars but much more 80's and 90's cars. That's progress I guess.

Car clubs don't pay for their pitches, so money to cover the costs of the show comes from ticket sales and traders who pay for their pitch. The costs can be high so it is usually bigger auction houses or dealers who can pay for it. The pitches need to be filled and so spare ones are offered to other random businesses including food stands, furniture, clothes and handbags. You have to remember, not everyone there is interested in the cars !

I agree, the line ups may not be like those you'd find at Bicester scrambles but it was definitely diverse - everything from pre war Bugatti's to Gordon Keebles, to Peel's and J type vans.

Certainly not defending the show, but while it may not be perfect and definitely over expensive, it's the only major indoor show left and I'm sure costs an eye watering sum to put on. Figures just released show nearly 75000 attendees over the three days so not too unpopular!
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

I don't mind defending the NEC Classic Car Show.

1. The organisers are doing it as a money-making venture. It is their living. I don't begrudge them that. They are good at it.
2. The expenses they face are vast. They risk making a huge loss as well as anticipating a huge profit. Good weather for travelling = good profits; bad weather = a potentially eye-watering loss.
3. The classic car movement as a whole needs a focal point; a highlight of the year. The NEC show is that pinnacle. If a club wants to be a player, they need to be at the flagship event. I don't see how such an event could be convened by any other means than a show organiser taking the plunge, risks and benefits being a necessary factor.
4. Everything these days is dearer. Fuel costs impact on event expenses, transport to & from car parks, catering, you name it it impacts. The increased ticket prices reflect this.
5. Were it not for the good offices of the vast army of volunteers who book, produce, and man the various stands, the event would not exist. In my 20+ years of helping to organise and man a club stand, I never ever spoke with neighbouring stand personnel who weren't enjoying themselves immensely. The show Feelgood Factor is alive, kicking, and dominant.
6. How could it possibly be replaced with something more acceptable?

Go on, hit me. I can take it.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Well I certainly won't be taking a swing at you... I agree with everything you've said. It's not perfect but then nothing is and the classic car world would be poorer without it.