Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morris63
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Boot Lid not fitting

Post by morris63 »

Hi. I just can't get the boot lid to fit properly. It leaks badly in the rain. It sits very high and only shuts with the catch ajusted fully forward. It has been replaced in its time but there does not seem to be any adjustment. The rubber I got from ESM seems to make it worse. Were there differant size boot lids through the ages? Has anyone fitted a fiberglass one?
simmitc

Re: Boot Lid not fitting

Post by simmitc »

What year is the car? There have been a few changes over the years, but mainly cosmetic or with the stay. The usual reason for a poor fit is poor alignment of panels during a previous restoration. There should be a lip right round the opening on the body. Is yours present? They sometimes rust away, particularly at the bottom, and this can cause leaks.
morris63
Minor Friendly

Post by morris63 »

simmitc wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:57 am What year is the car? There have been a few changes over the years, but mainly cosmetic or with the stay. The usual reason for a poor fit is poor alignment of panels during a previous restoration. There should be a lip right round the opening on the body. Is yours present? They sometimes rust away, particularly at the bottom, and this can cause leaks.
Yes there is a lip on the body. I have fitted the rubber but this seems to stop the lid shutting properly.
MM1949
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by MM1949 »

There are two types of seals, a rubber seal that fits in the lip on the body which seals around the inside of the boot lip and a later type seal which is a sponge like material which sticks to the boot lid by the lip and seals around the lip on the body. You have the rubber seal which is probably holding the boot further away from the body, you could try the later seal which doesn't hold the lid away as much as its a sponge like material that compresses.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

This is the seal I have fitted to the lip around the body aperture of the boot opening on my 1958 Minor which has the original factory fitted steel boot lid.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... dy-p828025
It allows the boot lid to fit well and is the original seal as fitted at the factory.
As regards a fiberglass boot lid. I have a NOS fiberglass boot lid. I tried fitting it but it did not want to close as the original boot lid seal would not allow the fiberglass boot lid to shut. So the fiberglass boot lid was put back on the shelf until I can fathom a way to fit it with a boot lid seal.

kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

I started out with the glued in seal in the bootlid but couldn't keep it dry, then I tried the type you knock on the flange (there are various sizes), that kept it dry, I think the main benefit is it effectively makes the gutter deeper.
Last edited by kevin s on Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Have you ensured that the bumper seals are fitted correctly? If not, water runs down the outside and then into the bottom of the boot.
morris63
Minor Friendly

Post by morris63 »

MM1949 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:32 pm There are two types of seals, a rubber seal that fits in the lip on the body which seals around the inside of the boot lip and a later type seal which is a sponge like material which sticks to the boot lid by the lip and seals around the lip on the body. You have the rubber seal which is probably holding the boot further away from the body, you could try the later seal which doesn't hold the lid away as much as its a sponge like material that compresses.
Thank you, I will try this next.