What is this called and what does it do?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Giovanni
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

What is this called and what does it do?

Post by Giovanni »

Hi I removed the door frames from my pickup to do some work on them but I had to remove a part from my passenger side door but wasn’t on my drivers door. I don’t know what it is called or what it does but I would like to source another one but don’t know how to refer to it, I have attached a couple of photos to assit. Grateful for any knowledge.
Attachments
Unknown part
Unknown part
IMG_2334.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 4768 times
IMG_2333.jpeg
IMG_2333.jpeg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 4768 times
panky
Minor Legend

Re: What is this called and what does it do?

Post by panky »

It fits between the inner and outer skins, the rubber buffer against the outer, to to prevent the panels 'drumming'
Giovanni
Minor Friendly

Post by Giovanni »

Thanks for you reply, do you know what it’s called ? I thought it was something to do with the window.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I think they are called anti-drum door brackets and I was wrong that they touch the outer skin. I found this post about the same item that explains things better.

viewtopic.php?t=72320
Last edited by panky on Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

I've spent ages looking for these in the Parts Manuals for both Cars and LCVs and despite it being a separate part which is bolted in, I can't see it anywhere in either publication, not in Doors or even on the off-chance, Windows..... :roll:

Feel free to keep looking, just find AKD 3542 Morris Body Parts and AKD 3575 for the LCV equivalent.

http://www.caroholic.com/images/AKD3542 ... _Parts.pdf

https://www.spridgetguru.com/TchIndx17_ ... KD3575.pdf

It's very frustrating them not being identified.
Basil the 1955 series II

Giovanni
Minor Friendly

Post by Giovanni »

I have also tried to locate the part with ESM but it doesn’t appear to be listed however I have sourced a second hand one on the internet. Strange that it’s not listed anywhere.
Regards
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I concur, its not listed in my ESM parts catalogue.
The good news though must be, it looks perfectly useable as it is.
Where angels fear to tread
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

geoberni wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:24 pm I've spent ages looking for these in the Parts Manuals for both Cars and LCVs and despite it being a separate part which is bolted in, I can't see it anywhere in either publication, not in Doors or even on the off-chance, Windows..... :roll:
I'm glad it wasn't just me then. I spent hours poring over AKD3542 and could find no sign of them. I thought I must be just missing them. Rather odd that they aren't listed despite being a separate part.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Door bracket.JPG
Door bracket.JPG (114.95 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
geoberni wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:24 pm I've spent ages looking for these in the Parts Manuals for both Cars and LCVs and despite it being a separate part which is bolted in, I can't see it anywhere in either publication, not in Doors or even on the off-chance, Windows..... :roll:

Feel free to keep looking, just find AKD 3542 Morris Body Parts and AKD 3575 for the LCV equivalent.

http://www.caroholic.com/images/AKD3542 ... _Parts.pdf

https://www.spridgetguru.com/TchIndx17_ ... KD3575.pdf

It's very frustrating them not being identified.
Not everything is logical in BMC land. The part IS listed in the Body Service Parts List AKD 3542. It is part number AAA 2069 Bracket - door panel tensioner.

Just because a supplier doesn't list something on their website, it doesn't mean they don't have it. Sometimes you just have to make a few 'phone calls and ask somebody. I'd imagine anybody who's ever taken a Morris Minor to pieces will have one or two of these in their parts bin :wink:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Of course, it's so obviously part of the body shell and not the door, I don't know why we ever looked anywhere else :-(
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:29 am Of course, it's so obviously part of the body shell and not the door, I don't know why we ever looked anywhere else :-(
ManyMinors wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:15 am Not everything is logical in BMC land. The part IS listed in the Body Service Parts List AKD 3542. It is part number AAA 2069 Bracket - door panel tensioner.
OF course, it's on the random Body Shell page :roll:
So we solve one mystery and find another...
It's now got me wondering what parts 19 & 31 are... 'Plate - Cover - Dash' and 'Plate - Blanking - Dash' since the illustration has them on the floor??

Although I won't have seen them on my car since the commencement car numbers are up in S3 and S5 cars :-?
654*** and 1039*** region across the different body styles...
Odd Bits.JPG
Odd Bits.JPG (74.34 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
Basil the 1955 series II

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Heater blanking plates maybe or the round one could be a rotor-dip hole blanking plate
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

panky wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:41 pm Heater blanking plates maybe or the round one could be a rotor-dip hole blanking plate
They are indeed blanking plates for the early and later heater air intakes - for use on cars which were not fitted with a heater :wink:

The arrow to show the location doesn't help very much does it!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:56 pm
panky wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:41 pm Heater blanking plates maybe or the round one could be a rotor-dip hole blanking plate
They are indeed blanking plates for the early and later heater air intakes - for use on cars which were not fitted with a heater :wink:

The arrow to show the location doesn't help very much does it!
Of course, the rectangular low intake of the S3 and the elephant trunk of the S5. :tu1:
Basil the 1955 series II