Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dougie212
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Horrible weld help

Post by Dougie212 »

Hi there

I’m currently in the process of painting my kick panels. Having stripped the paint off them, knocked out most of the dents I sprayed a coat of etch primer on and realised I’d overlooked the welded seams that - well, look horrible. They are sound, and hold together well, so it’s just the look.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could run over the seam to neaten it up to look at. I’d thought of a seam sealer in a dispenser gun like I would caulking in the house but didn’t know if this would suffice.

Thanks

Duncan
IMG_3499.jpeg
IMG_3499.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 2029 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Horrible weld help

Post by ManyMinors »

If you mean the kick panel which sits beneath the doors and covers the sill, they have no structural value and the weld could be smartened up by careful use of a body filler, rubbed down and primed prior to painting. However, as brand new ones cost less than £15.00 each and are simply screwed on, I'm not sure why you'd bother?
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

As manyminors says, they are readily available so perhaps worth buying replacements. If you want to keep these, buy semi structural seam sealer for use in a skeleton gun https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/b40066975/and lay down a nice wide bead to cover the welds up. It can be overpainted later. You could also use brushable seam sealer if you don't have a skeleton gun. https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/b40067208/
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Your local paint/sundries suppliers also sell a brush for seam sealer, (like a paintbrush that's gone hard in fact)! You get a factory like finish with one of these.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
MM1949
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by MM1949 »

Use some Tiger seal.