1960 948cc Traveller won’t start

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Gordon Maddan
MMOC Member: No

1960 948cc Traveller won’t start

Post by Gordon Maddan »

I have a 1960 948CC Traveller with Positive earth and dynamo. Purchased several months ago. Has run and started well. Flat battery on being left garaged for a few weeks, recharged and started first time - but not fully recharged. Left again for a few weeks battery flat, recharged but won’t start this time but turning over fine. I thought it best to seek guidance on logical sequence of steps before starting to change things. Any suggestions much appreciated. Kind Regards Gordon.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1960 948cc Traveller won’t start

Post by philthehill »

I would suggest as a first step check the condition of the battery.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

You need to do the basic usual checks in these circumstances. Check for a spark and check there is fuel.

I am suspicious that the battery became flat after a couple of weeks just sitting there. The battery should not go flat that quickly unless there is a current drain somewhere or the battery may be faulty with age.

I would suggest removing and cleaning up the battery terminals and battery posts and refitting checking there is a good tight connection. It is amazing the trouble that can be caused by something that simple.

If the battery is old it may not hold much of a charge. Modern batteries are not tolerant of being deeply discharged.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Gordon Maddan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Gordon Maddan »

Sorted with a bit of WD40 and blowing into the fuel tank.. Horrible metallic rattle from the front of the dynamo though but engine running fine. Thank you for your reassuring advice.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Remove the fan belt and check the dynamo front bearing. Also check the condition of the pulley & dynamo fan and security of the dynamo pulley nut.
Check also the condition of the crankshaft pulley. The three piece crankshaft pulley is known to come apart when it should not.