Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Front suspension

Post by davecopp »

IMG_0697.jpeg
IMG_0697.jpeg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 387 times
Hi
Some help please.
I’ve fitted the suspension on both sides and there is a large gap in the upper swivel pin link. According to the manual this should be 2 thou. I can’t tighten one end because the castle nut would go in too much for the split pin. The nut on the other end is already well on and is very tight.
My other question is that the damper arm is currently resting on the bottom of the cutout of the inner wing but presumably when the weight is on the wheels it will force this up so it’s not fouling the inner wing.
Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Front suspension

Post by philthehill »

Ignore the manual - that refers to the earlier type of top trunnion. You have the rubber bush top trunnion and you appear to have assembled it correctly.
Just do everything up tight and if necessary to the next split pin slot and all will be ok. :tu1:
Did you set the thick suspension arm on the torsion bar as per the BMC wksp manual?
Measurement 'C' is the initial setting and the thick arm should be set to the 'C' measurement which is the difference between the inner and outer pivot points.
Ride height 2.jpg
Ride height 2.jpg (194.86 KiB) Viewed 384 times
You have yet to install the bottom rebound buffer.
When the weight is on the correctly set suspension the damper arm will be well clear of the bottom inner wing slot.
There is a 1/8" gap between the front of the fitted washer of the pivot pin and the rear of the damper lever arm for the top trunnion pivot pin on my Minor and that is correct.
The castellated nut side of the pin has a very shallow taper and needs to be done up tight to get the taper fully home. The nut on the other end of the pin has no direct or indirect impact on how far the taper of the pin goes into the damper arm.

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Re: Front suspension

Post by davecopp »

Thank you so much Phil. I will check the measurement tomorrow.👍😄