Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Carder
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Priming screen washer pump

Post by Carder »

I’m just replacing my screen washer pump (manual) and I’m trying to prime the pump which is causing me a headache. I have a no return valve in washer bottle and one coming from the pump to the jets. I have tried everything and nothing works.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Re: Priming screen washer pump

Post by Steve Phillips »

You should only need the one in the bottle although 2 probably won't hurt,

First thing would be to check that you have the valves the correct way round, hopefully there's arrows marked on the valves,

If theres no arrows marked on the valves after a quick rince in some clean water try blowing and sucking through the valves,

This can be made easier by attaching a short piece of appropriate hose to the valve first,

Do remember some valves will only work if the are standing vertically these normally don't have a spring inside to close the valve an relay on gravity to make the ball close off inside the valve,

You can also check the lines are clear by blowing through them because if they are blocked it will never work,

All of that is assuming the pump is in working order to start with.

Hope that helps,

Steve
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Make sure the nrv to the jets is fitted the right way round (indicated by an arrow). Also is there an IN and OUT at the back of the pump? My pump is marked “S” and “J” on back but I have no idea what that means! I have not fitted this pump yet by the way…..

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I just had a play with my unfitted manual pump with short pipes attached and a cup of water as the reservoir.

My conclusion is that the non-return valve to the jets has the inlet on the black side and the outlet to jets is the white side.

On the back of the pump "J" is connected to jet pipe via a non-return valve to the jets. "S" is connected to the bottle with a foot valve. I guessed the J was for jets and S for suction or source. The outlet "J" has a smaller hole than the inlet "S". The tubing to the jets should be narrower than the tubing from the bottle to the pump.

It takes a while for the pump to refill between presses of the plunger so lots of small presses will not work. Press the plunger fully in and wait for the plunger to return all the way back out before pressing again.

Hope that helps, assuming you have a similar pump.

Stephen
IMG_9393.jpeg
IMG_9393.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1238 times
IMG_9394.jpeg
IMG_9394.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1238 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen