Replacement Indicator Switch Assy

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Martha
MMOC Member: Yes

Replacement Indicator Switch Assy

Post by Martha »

Hi I have replaced my indicator switch assembly due to a fault. I have ordered it from a well known morris minor spares supplier down south. However, after replacement the indictors both sides worked but when in the neutral position the flasher lamp is still flashing albeit a shallow flash and at a slightly slower pace.

Has anyone else got the same problem as I have spoken to three different people at the company, two have said they have got problems with SWT101 and one denied any knowledge of this problem. They have all sent me replacement assemblies but they are all acting the same way.

I have checked out my wiring and carried out some reasonable tests on the system to no avail.

Help... is it me, my van or the switch?????? or just a bad batch?????

Thanks for any help or confirmation the other users are experiencing the same problems.

Regards
Mike
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Replacement Indicator Switch Assy

Post by svenedin »

I replaced my indicator assembly with a new Lucas part from ESM about 8 months ago. The only trouble that I had was that the wires on the new switch do not match the wiring in the car. I did work out what went where and in fact I I posted a wiring table on this forum: viewtopic.php?p=691384&hilit=indicator+wiring#p691384

Do you mean that in the neutral position of the indicator stalk that the green pilot lamp is still flashing but the indicators on the car are not flashing? If so I would suspect a faulty flasher can (relay).

Is everything else standard? Standard flasher can, incandescent bulbs etc?

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have a spare indicator assembly so I had a look at it.

It is really very simple. In the middle position the circuit is open. In the indicator on position, the contacts are closed. That's it.

I can't see how 3x indicator assemblies have been faulty.

You do not mention what the original fault was and why you wanted to replace the assembly. You also do not mention whether you have a late car which has always had flashing indicators or an earlier car (that originally had trafficators) that has been modified to have flashing indicators.

I can only conclude that the fault is with your wiring (a short somewhere) or the flasher relay but if you are using LED bulbs or non-standard relay then this may be causing the issue.

Stephen
IMG_9388.jpeg
IMG_9388.jpeg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1307 times

IMG_9389.jpeg
IMG_9389.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 1307 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Jaywhy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Jaywhy »

Hi there Martha/Mike
Is this article posted in the correct section- if so what is it you have for sale?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

No, Martha/Mike had it in Parts for Sale, but I've moved it to Electrical. We never hold accidental mis-posting against anyone, so I hope that the issue gets resolved.

If the lamp is illuminated, then it must be getting power from somewhere. If it's flashing, then that has to be the flasher unit - remember that with a single repeater, it does not get power from the contacts in the switch, they work only for the main indicators. I suggest replacing the flasher unit as a first test. I think that we are all presuming that the flashing stops when the ignition is turned off, which wouild make sense as the flasher unit is ignition switched.