Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Electronic distributors

Post by svenedin »

How does the SX2000 work? Presumably it is still using the points as a trigger?

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

I built a capacitive discharge electronic ignition system, back some 50 years ago. Built from discrete components and a transformer supplied by ETI magazine, as an inexpensive option, for the project it carried, over one or two editions.

That worked fine, but still used the points as the trigger, back then. One or two switches simply reverted the system to the Kettering OEM. For any 4 cylinder engine, not revving past about 5000rpm, it was a superb improvement over the Kettering system and the current consumption was also a good indication of engine speed (which I did not use, as I already had an electronic pick-up type of electrical rev counter).

I would think that such a system would be perfectly adequate for most Minor drivers. Best of both worlds - better operation/performance, with easy reversion to the standard system.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Further to my post re Boyer Bransden, I have now purchased one of their inductive discharge units. What I would like to do is fit a switch to replicate the Sparkrite SX2000 system of bypassing the unit in case of failure. The switch should disconnect the power from the unit and simultaneously switch the wire from the points straight to the coil. My brain has trouble with two way switching in house wiring so advice on a suitable switch and wiring diagram would be appreciated (I can see how to do it with two switches but that would be inelegant)
Attachments
BB.jpg
BB.jpg (15.6 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

A break-before make double pole double throw switch of suitable power handling should do the job?
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Thanks, I wanted a triple pole so I could disconnect the power as well. I have found one that should do the job, will report back when fitted.
Attachments
Switch.jpg
Switch.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

My initial thought was a Double Pole Double Throw switch, but started to do a drawing and realised it wouldn’t be possible to fully disconnect the module.

Triple Pole Double Throw will work;-
Electronic Ignition switch.png
Electronic Ignition switch.png (109.15 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
Switch shown in conventional points position.
Note the link on the switch to enable the blue module wire to be connected/disconnected.

Regards John.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Go back to points, it’s a Morris Minor and runs perfectly well with such. Nowadays it’s a pleasure to run something that’s easy to maintain at home, what is the point in complicating matters ?

mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Thanks John, that confirms my plan.

Les, I am keeping the points, this gives me both options at the flick of a switch. If you read my earlier post in this thread you will see this is for a Rover V8 engine
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

For a rover v8 the easy option is to fit a range rover distributor and get OEM quality parts, thats what I a have done on my TR7V8 and it hasn't missed a beat in 12 years (only time the cap has been off is to steal the rotor arm for the range rover) spare amps are not dear either so I carry a spare just in case but never needed it.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

I agree, and that is what I would do if I could find a genuine Lucas one in good condition at a fair price. I know there are plenty of "copies" but in my experience they are very poor quality. I dream of finding a NOS item for £50 :D
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

mobylette wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:09 pm I agree, and that is what I would do if I could find a genuine Lucas one in good condition at a fair price. I know there are plenty of "copies" but in my experience they are very poor quality. I dream of finding a NOS item for £50 :D
I don’t think club spares charged me much more than £75 for a NOS Lucas 25D in its box….

Stephen

Stephen
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

mobylette wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:09 pm I agree, and that is what I would do if I could find a genuine Lucas one in good condition at a fair price. I know there are plenty of "copies" but in my experience they are very poor quality. I dream of finding a NOS item for £50 :D
Yes it was a bit different 12 years ago, a good used one cost me a tenner!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

kevin s wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:36 pm
Yes it was a bit different 12 years ago, a good used one cost me a tenner!
Ok I searched my e-mail. Club spares sold me a NOS Lucas 25D in its box for £100 in February 2023. I really think that's very reasonable.

Stephen

Stephen