Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Carder
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

wiring in electric windscreen washer pump

Post by Carder »

When it comes to electrics I have a lot to learn. I have just purchased from ESM an electric windscreen washer pump kit. I have fitted pump and plumb all the new tubes. All I have to do is wire it in, Help please!!
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: wiring in electric windscreen washer pump

Post by oliver90owner »

It will be wired from the pump to the switch and from the switch to a suitable live supply. I am guessing the pump is at earth potential via its mounting to a metal surface. Personally, I think I might insert an in-line fuse in the live feed - especially if it was connected direct to the battery.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well, there's not a lot to it....
So both kits ESM sell are separate pumps, that I think can be mounted anywhere. Just check that the instructions, if any, don't say the pump needs to be mounted at the same height as the fluid container.

I would find a suitable place to mount the pump, taking into consideration the length of cable they've supplied, which to be honest doesn't look very long on the kit photos.
You can either put the switch in the supply, or you can switch the earth, IF, the pump isn't earthed via the body.
Do you have a multimeter you can check things with?

If switching the supply, you'll need to find a solid Green Cable behind the dash to use as the fused, Ign Switched, supply.
If you're switching the earth, you can just take the supply straight from the fuse (again the green wires) to the pump and then to the switch, earthing it next to the switch.
Pros and Cons to both, switching the earth is the option used for the Horn and Interior Lights.

There are some Youtube videos of fitting electric washers to Minor and other classics, but quite honestly many spend far too much time waffling on about the plastic piping than they do explaining the electrics. :roll:
One guy even takes the old mechanical pump apart to hide the push button inside the old mechanical pump... :o . Nice trick but not helpful to anyone like you looking for wiring instructions. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Mine is as suggested green wire connection into switch but via another inline fuse as extra precaution out of switch to pos on motor and neg of motor to mounting bolt for ground. As the pump body is insulated so not self earthing.
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

ESM told me some time ago that the pump had to be mounted below the bottle. My car has a badly fitted electric pump that is ancient but it still works and I never bothered to change it. My existing pump is well above the bottle….

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

"My existing pump is well above the bottle…."
Mine too and it's a cheap "Tudor" copy from that well known auction site.
If the non return valve, in the bottle, is good and not "returning" then it shouldn't pose a problem.
The power feed is from a spare connector in the fusebox, ignition switched. I did fit a separate inline fuse too can't remember what amperage,. Hopefully that, being much less than the ignition switched fuse would blow and leave the main fuse intact if there was a problem with the washer pump/wiring/switch.
Operated by a momentary switch fitted where the original manumatic pump was. I did renew the tubing and fitted new twin washer jets.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

And the original plunger type needs no wiring or electricity at all!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:04 pm And the original plunger type needs no wiring or electricity at all!
Yes and given how small the washer bottle is the manual pump is more than adequate!

Stephen

Stephen
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:04 pm And the original plunger type needs no wiring or electricity at all!
A lot of engines were originally only started by the manual starting handle. Doesn’t mean that we never progress with technology.

I started with a hand or foot pump for inflating tyres. Electric pumps were progress.

Batteries were refillable to maintain electrolyte levels. Very few of those around these days. Those batteries (back then) were arguably better for deep discharge, when side and tail lights had to be illuminated throughout the night if parked anywhere on the public highway (long before the present reflective number plates were required). Progress?

Same with windscreen washers - including a possible safety factor?
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

I wonder if those advocating the manumatic "pump" are still driving a basic car without any more up to date modifications? e.g. electronic ignition, hazard flashers, alternator, pos to neg earth conversion, go faster ignition coil, silicone h.t.leads etc..
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Yes, I am. Amazingly it just works. :tu1:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes, everything works perfectly well on my old Minor without modern additions too - although I must confess I have added flashing indicators rather than the trafficators :wink: Keep it simple! :D
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Yes I am positive earth but I do have a hazard switch and electronic ignition (sometimes, I go back to points on a whim periodically). I have no other additional switches, gauges, radios or other paraphernalia

Stephen

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, I am with 'JJ' and 'MM' on this as my car works fine without any unnecessary 'gizmos'....... :wink: