Midget 1275 type 9

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bobwiggins1
MMOC Member: No

Midget 1275 type 9

Post by Bobwiggins1 »

Good morning , I have a pick up and would like to fit the midget 1275 engine that I have and a type 9 5 speed , I haven’t got a flywheel or a clutch and was wondering what id need to be able to mate the two together ? Can anyone help me please ? Thanks in advance
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Midget 1275 type 9

Post by philthehill »

You will need one of these kits for a start:-
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/modif ... r-p1238071
You will need a 1275cc Midget flywheel which has been re-faced and indexed drilled to allow fitment of the 7.5" dia clutch assy as per the photo below:-
Modified 1275cc flywheel.jpg
Modified 1275cc flywheel.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 544 times
or you could go the whole hog and fit one of these kits:-
https://frontlinedevelopments.com/part/ ... d-gearbox/
There are fitting instructions in the link above but they are not complete so some knowledge/skill will be required to fit the conversion.
Front line Developments can supply you with all your requirements to carry out a successful conversion.
Last edited by philthehill on Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bobwiggins1

Post by Bobwiggins1 »

Thankyou , I have the box already just need to send to first motion to have the remote shortened just need to find out by how much , just need to find a flywheel and have it refaced in indexed , do you know where I can get that done ? I’m quite competent and have all winter to get it done 👍
Bobwiggins1

Post by Bobwiggins1 »

Do you know where I could buy a flywheel already done ?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Speak to Front Line Developments (link above).
or
Peter May Racing. https://www.petermayengineering.com/

There are several versions of the Type 9 gearboxes and there are more than one length of first motion shaft so make sure that you have the right one.

Bobwiggins1

Post by Bobwiggins1 »

Sounds like it’ll be easier to change the crank , got to be rebuilt anyway before it goes in :-( it’s getting rather expensive
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It does not stop at the crankshaft.
The rods have to be changed if you are going to use a Marina/Ital crankshaft in a 1275cc Midget block. Which means that you will unless you have the special tools have to get an engineering shop to change/or fit the pistons to the Marina/Ital rods.
A modified 1098cc flywheel suitable for use with a Marina/Ital crankshaft is available from ESM Morris.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... s-p1239064
Yes it is expensive once you get away from standard.
You could always use a Ford 2000E 4 speed gearbox which is what my gearbox conversion is based on. You get all the Ford gearbox benefits (synchro on 1st :tu1: ) except 5th gear. Unless you are going to use your Minor for a lot of Motorway driving there is little point in spending all that money. You can always fit a 3.9 diff to give a bit more top speed cruising and make the most of that 1275cc power.
Quaife box 2.jpg
Quaife box 2.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 503 times

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

If you are running a std 1275 and don't intend to do massive mileage an std minor gearbox will work fine and relative to fitting something else cost next to nothing, they are easy and cheap to rebuild and parts are readily available.

I find you very soon get used to having to stop to engage 1st (or doubling the clutch) and even on motorways if you are preparred to drive at HGV speeds you don't miss 5th.