Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Carder
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Partially draining water from engine

Post by Carder »

I’m trying add anti freeze to the engine and would like to partially train the system. Is there a drain tap on the engine or radiator?
simmitc

Re: Partially draining water from engine

Post by simmitc »

It depends on what's been fitted. Most good radiators have a tap at the bottom, close to the bottom hose. The engines may have a drain tap or a screw in plug, rear left hand side about half way down the block. Do not unscrew the wrong bit! Hopefully someone will pst a photo for you. You could also remove the bottom hose from the water pump, drain and refit.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Be careful with the drain at the bottom of the radiator. This can seize and break off if you’re too heavy handed. I’ll look for a photo of the engine block drain. This may be a plug or a tap. I use distilled water which my condensing tumble dryer conveniently provides. I’d say it’s easiest to loosen a hose unless the radiator drain tap opens easily. If the water looks rusty this is a good opportunity for a complete drain down and flush out with a garden hose. The engine drain is often blocked but there are many threads about this.

Stephen

This is the engine drain plug but some cars have a tap instead.

IMG_8919.jpeg
IMG_8919.jpeg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 565 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, I agree that if there is any question of the rad tap being seized it is better to drain via the bottom hose. It has been known for these taps to rip out of the rad when trying to open them if totally seized. You may also find, as mentioned above, that the engine drain is blocked.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I would say it's a certainty the Engine Block Drain will be blocked if it hasn't been regularly operated.
I've had my car 6 years and I've had to remove the tap and 'rod it out' with a bit of bent wire coat hanger around 3 times... :roll:
So worth doing just to clear it out....
Basil the 1955 series II