Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SGMajorMinor
MMOC Member: No

Can You Retrofit a Split Screen?

Post by SGMajorMinor »

Hi

I am new to the scene but have always wanted to own a Morris Minor and I am now determined to do so. The car I'm thinking of buying is a 1968 Minor. It's in perfect condition and meets all my requirements. There is just one thing; being a 1968 it has a one-piece screen, but I have always wanted a slit screen. The split screen cars I've seen for sale are not in the same condition as the 1968, so I am wondering if a split screen could be fitted to it? I realise than some people would think this is a terrible thing to do, but I really want a split screen Minor and may have wait a long time before a good one comes up, so can I have a split screen fitted? Is the window shape on a 1968 the same as a genuine split screen?

Thanks.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Can You Retrofit a Split Screen?

Post by ManyMinors »

It would be MAJOR surgery. Completely different roof and pillars, different dashboard, different bonnet - plus, you'll probably never get the windscreen to seal up if my experiences of split-screen Minors is anything to go by!

If you really want a split screen car, just go out and buy one. They are not THAT rare and I have seen two really lovely ones advertised in the last week or so. Bear in mind though that they are quite a bit older and not as well equipped as a Minor 1000 which frankly makes a much better practical proposition - certainly for regular use. :wink:
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Steve Phillips »

If you are really want the appearance of a split screen on your car then instead of trying to find a split screen shell to cut up you could create your own,

No not as silly as it sounds, it’s just steel so you could make the two halves of the screen surround and weld them in place of the curved surround, also that way you could use later style screen rubbers that don’t tend to leak as much,

You could fabricate a small “V” section at the front of the roof to blend into the screen surround for appearance but the bonnet could be left as it is, “curved” rather than “V” unless you want to “V” that as well,

It really comes down to your ability and how much you really want a split screen appearance, I’d be happy to quote you if you don’t fancy doing the work yourself......

Steve
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I am sure this idea has come upon here before. I have seen a Minor 1000 locally that had a metallic strip of some sort glued to the windscreen but it didn't look very convincing. I agree with ManyMinors, there are plenty of splitties out there, yes you may have to hunt about for the right one but you have to do that for any Minor these days if you have something specific in mind in terms of quality, originality, model etc. And a splittie can be upgraded in terms of engine, gearbox, diff etc. to make them more practical for every-day use - and many have been.
It makes no sense to me to spend money/effort in such a Frankensteininan experiment when the real thing is already out there for sale.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

I agree totally.
Buy an original splitty but be aware that they can be awkward to drive with the early gearbox and 803cc engine and lesser visibility both front and back.
Lots of them, mine included, have been upgraded so you might as well stick with your 68 and enjoy an improved ride. I am very happy with my 66 compared to my 53 splitty which I sold a few years back. 👍😁

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

You could stick some silver gaffer tape down the centre of the windscreen :-?
Apart from the major surgery required, you would also have to change the wipers (tandem wipe can't work when going over the metal strip) and I suspect that the resale value would plummet.

Anything can be done with enough money, but whether it should be done is another question. I understand that you like the idea of a split screen, but can only echo others: find a good one and buy it, don't mess up a perfectly good 1,000. I would class split screen as fun, later cars as entirely practical every day transport, so it will probably depend on what you want to do with the car and how much you want to spend.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

You might find a split screen that has a later 948 or 1098 engine and the later larger brake drums. That wouldn’t be a particular original car but it might be what you are looking for.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
SGMajorMinor

Post by SGMajorMinor »

ManyMinors wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:05 pm It would be MAJOR surgery. Completely different roof and pillars, different dashboard, different bonnet - plus, you'll probably never get the windscreen to seal up if my experiences of split-screen Minors is anything to go by!

If you really want a split screen car, just go out and buy one. They are not THAT rare and I have seen two really lovely ones advertised in the last week or so. Bear in mind though that they are quite a bit older and not as well equipped as a Minor 1000 which frankly makes a much better practical proposition - certainly for regular use. :wink:
Many thanks. I will take your advice.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

svenedin wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:38 pm You might find a split screen that has a later 948 or 1098 engine and the later larger brake drums. That wouldn’t be a particular original car but it might be what you are looking for.

Stephen
Yes, but it would be more original than a 1000 which has had the sort of major operation being suggested here. Its never going to look right anyway in my opinion....
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Just because something is Possible, doesn't mean it's Practicable; just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should....

It would cost a fair bit, in time and money and still not be quite 'Right'....
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:01 pm Just because something is Possible, doesn't mean it's Practicable; just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should....

It would cost a fair bit, in time and money and still not be quite 'Right'....
Quite so
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Yeeees, but definitely no. The surgery required would be humongous, and via the little used provisions of the Construction and use act, you can't actually fit mods that were discarded for a safety element. So spilt screens gave way to a safety Triplex one piece, larger back lights superseded small ones. So, you shouldn't permanently modify later vehicles to an earlier spec.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

I wonder what the insurance companies would have to say on the subject, they start rubbing their hands together at the first sniff of a modification! 🤔