Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Loadie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Go on then….

Post by Loadie »

What goes in here??? I’m thinking maybe some sort of wind up clock. The glove box door still works although I don’t think it’s original on my 1955 convertible. Neither is the engine or speedo either :D

Cheers
Loadie
Attachments
IMG_0530.jpeg
IMG_0530.jpeg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 512 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Go on then….

Post by ManyMinors »

Your guess is as good as anyone's! As you say, the glovebox lid isn't originally from your car anyway but the cut out probably was made - and very neatly too - for a timepiece of some sort. There were quite a few rectangular clocks and gauges around for a while. It is quite interesting to guess and try to work out the history of an old car but sometimes it is just impossible - and not helped by the DVLA no longer passing on previous owner details.
Loadie
Minor Friendly

Post by Loadie »

Looking at the hole I don’t thing it was home made unless some owned a steel press. I guess I’m in the market for a badge to fill the hole if it’s not a standard option. That or take the door away altogether.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Probably a 'Classic' Smiths Clock, like this one, they were about 2" wide: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114182050607
Somebody went to a lot of trouble to engineer that hole and fit the doors, because as you surmise, the glove-boxes should be open on a '55 SII.
Basil the 1955 series II

Loadie
Minor Friendly

Post by Loadie »

Yes I’d say so. Although I’m guessing it has to be self contained and not wired anywhere as it would render the door useless if there were any connections to the vehicle.