Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

gearbox steady cable

Post by philthehill »

Just been reading in Sep/Oct 23 Minor Matters technical tips about repairing the gearbox steady cable gearbox mount bolts.
The cable was installed by BMC to overcome problems with the gearbox and engine moving forward under braking with the possibility that the water pump/fan ending up hitting the radiator.
The modification was an afterthought by BMC which resulted in a bad engineering decision to utilise the three 1/4" UNF bolt holes holding the rear extension to the main gearbox body. IMHO a bodge.
BMC should have done the job properly and changed the threads from 1/4" UNF to 5/16" UNC as part of the modification.
Over the years I have carried out many of the 5/16" UNC modification and several on here have done the same. Those fastenings that have been changed to 5/16" UNC have shown no signs of failing and are a improvement on the original modification.
Phil

rogermassey
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: gearbox steady cable

Post by rogermassey »

Hi Phil, that explains why, on my radiator, I’ve got a feint impression of a circular “sweep”, not 360 degree, but about 120 degrees. It matches the fan radius. Bolts in the gearbox I removed were 5/16”, the gearbox I rebuilt only has the 1/4”. Another job to do whilst the weather still good! Roger.