Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davecopp
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Covers on side of block

Post by davecopp »

Re 1098 cc engine
Some advice please. There are two covers on the side of the block. I can remove one of them but the other has a pipe going through it (I believe it may be a fume vent). I've removed the bracket holding the pipe to the side of the block and also removed the bolt holding the cover on but the cover seems to be firmly fixed in place. My question is - Should it just come off or is the pipe connected to something behind the cover which is preventing me from removing it?
Thanks
Dave
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Covers on side of block

Post by philthehill »

The pipe is the 'fume' vent.
The cover should be easily removed once the central bolt and pipe extension have been removed.
I suspect that the cover has been fitted with some type of sealant which is holding the cover to the block.
I would advise that a flat putty knife/scraper is pushed down between the cover and block so as to release the cover and gasket from the block.
There should be no need to use sealant on the gasket. I recommend that you also replace the two rubber 'O' gaskets which fit under the bolt cup washers. Do not overtighten the cover bolts as that will only distort the covers and achieve nothing.

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Re: Covers on side of block

Post by davecopp »

Thank you very much Phil.