Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Can you still get cellulose paint?

Post by Oldmogman »

Does anyone know if it's still possible to buy cellulose paint (not aerosol) for home spraying?

The motor factors I bought the last lot from says they can't get it, so I've had to use spraycans of basecoat and clear - which I'm not impressed by (to put it mildly!).

I'd be looking for half a litre of so of Jaguar Dark Blue, if anyone can recommend somewhere?

Or, assuming it's still available to the trade, maybe I could get someone to mix me up some...

Thanks all
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Can you still get cellulose paint?

Post by ManyMinors »

Car restoration paints: Ken and Lyn. 07778 165966. I purchased a litre of cellulose paint from them last year for one of my cars. Very happy with their service which I have used before on several occasions.
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

There might be a branch of Autopaints International near you. I've had no trouble getting it from them plus I have a body shop supplier nearby who will also mix and sell cellulose. The only time I've been queried is when I got Flame red for my '91 Mini Cooper but apparently the colour was used on Leyland Sherpa's so he mixed it for me, apparently the colour needs to be used on certain aged vehicles or commercials.
Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

Thanks guys, that's brilliant - I'll check out your suggestions!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

————and if you want a large tin of cellulose grey primer, it’s here for free. I’ve checked the contents and stirred the paint, it looks ok, there is about 2 1/2 litres left. However on reflection, I’m not sure of the shelf life of cellulose so you may wish to consider this.