Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Bonnet Release rod rattle

Post by svenedin »

For as long as I can remember I have had a horrible rattle under the dashboard. I have finally got round to trying to sort it out. I traced the rattle to the bonnet release rod. First I replaced the anti-rattle spring in the engine bay (I took it off, forgot to put it back and lost it) but the rattle persisted. I have found that the rattle is where the release rod goes through the bulkhead. The grommet that should be there has completely disintegrated.

This grommet is available from Moss. Part number: AAA1881

With a new grommet the rattle has gone.

The grommet is fitted by disconnecting the bonnet release rod at the radiator end where it is held to a lever by a split pin with a washer. Disconnect the rod from the lever and then disconnect the anti-rattle spring from the "tear drop" slider. Remove the slider. Then remove the two screws securing the bonnet release rod bracket to the bulkhead. Be careful, the screws are short and easily dropped. Slide bracket off the rod. Remove any existing decayed grommet. Grease the new grommet with red rubber grease or silicone grease and slide it on to the rod so the "top hat" faces in towards the cockpit. refit the bracket and screws; slide the tear drop back on the rod and refit the rod to the lever near the radiator remembering the washer and then the split pin. Reconnect the anti-rattle spring. Done.

Stephen
IMG_9248.jpeg
IMG_9248.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 2587 times
IMG_9247.jpeg
IMG_9247.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2587 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen