Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

New 'Genuine' Lockheed Master Cylinder

Post by geoberni »

Last week, I mentioned on another post that I was going to be replacing Basil's Master Cylinder. The one I chose was from ebay, sold by ESM, whether it's still actual former Bull Motif stock being used up, I've no idea. But it was cheaper than buying from their Web Shop, as you can see.
Lockheed MC ESM.JPG
Lockheed MC ESM.JPG (119.49 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
So, the only genuine MC that are available now are the latter 13/16th ones, but no problem with that, Basil has the latter 8" front brakes anyway...

Cutting a long story short, I had the new MC in and out like a Fiddler 's elbow, well 3 times. Fortunately, one of Basil's little quirks is that when he was refurbished, they must've made their own box sections and they fitted the MC slightly higher than it should be; meaning I can easily get the Bolts in & out without messing with the Torsion bar :wink:
The problem was that I couldn't get any fluid to move from the reservoir, so was it because it needed priming or what?
Nope it wasn't that....
On the 3rd time it was out, I looked closely at the new MC, comparing it with the old one....
Is there a difference between the 7/8" and 13/16" other than the bore size... :-? ?
It looked quite a bit narrower down the hole where the Operating Rod goes...
Could it be that there was something else different about it...?

20230812_103609.jpg
20230812_103609.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 3685 times
Boy is there ever...
Getting 2 identical length Alan Keys, I could easily see it...
20230812_103910.jpg
20230812_103910.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 3685 times
The original MC Operating Rod hole is close to parallel sided and 7/8" deep.
The new one is tapered to a narrow bottom but is approximately 1 & 7/16" deep, approximately half as deep again as the original item.
The problem I was having was that the Operating Rod was just going in and out of the hole and barely moving the actual Piston.
I was not going to get sufficient adjustment on the Operating Rod to take up all the slack, unless it was going to be barely on the end of the adjustment, so I took the easy way out and even with my lousy welding ability I welded a short extension to the operating rod.
I decided that all loads exerted on the rod while braking were compressive and even if the weld did separate somehow, the tapered shape of the hole would hold the end piece in place.
I'll be letting ESM know about this, perhaps it is a freak one-of, perhaps all the new ones are like it, I've no idea, but I thought I'd share the info...
:roll: :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: New 'Genuine' Lockheed Master Cylinder

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Get the original one refurbished with new seals.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Do please let us know what ESM has to say. I am so fed up with parts not made to original spec. Imagine if you had really had to struggle with the torsion bar only to find this.......Grrr

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:35 pm Get the original one refurbished with new seals.
I'd done that last year and it has started leaking again.
Only a fraction of what it was, but enough to make the inside of the rubber boot noticeably wet.
Basil the 1955 series II

olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by olonas »

I suppose the torsion bar could be a "struggle" but I have never had any problems bending it down sufficiently to extract the bolts. It doesn't have to deflect much.
I use a suitably sized "D" shackle(s) and lever down using a short bar/large screwdriver and piece of timber on the underside of the chassis leg.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Update time.

I forgot to contact ESM back in august and only thought about it when some poor blighter on the fb group was struggling with the same symptoms.

So I contact ESM a couple of days ago, and this was the reply this afternoon:
Thank you very much for your email and for all the feedback regarding the master cylinder. We buy these in direct from Lockheed so we will need to check with them as to whether there have been any spec changes on the part over time, as well as looking at the stock we have.

Thank you again for bringing it to our attention.
So looks like Chinese quality issues again....
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I scrapped a master cylinder a few weeks ago, I think it was ok but not sure, I just wouldn’t want to waste time fitting if there was any doubt. Maybe a mistake. I’m doing a lot of ‘getting rid of’ lately, I’ve decided ‘less is more’ ! I don’t find it easy though, after living with clutter for so long but when I’m no longer here, it would probably end up in a skip !

rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rocco »

les wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:27 pm I scrapped a master cylinder a few weeks ago, I think it was ok but not sure, I just wouldn’t want to waste time fitting if there was any doubt. Maybe a mistake. I’m doing a lot of ‘getting rid of’ lately, I’ve decided ‘less is more’ ! I don’t find it easy though, after living with clutter for so long but when I’m no longer here, it would probably end up in a skip !
Les, I'm coming over next week. If you have any Minor "clutter" I'd happily help relieve you of it. :tu1: :D

I can bring a purse of monies with me too, for anything you want to sell me.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks Rocco but it’s basically all gone, just mostly general none Morris ‘clutter’ ongoing ! I’ve found that you have to be in the right frame of mind to do this, otherwise you tend to have second thoughts.